StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · A Newbie's Journey<< 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48 >>Post Follow-up
sandjco
648 posts
msg #137716
Ignore sandjco
modified
8/18/2017 1:22:12 AM

What the Facebook? Not sure if the data on SF is correct...Yahoo doesn't show SPY with a low of $232.33

TNA imploding?

More shaking the tree?

Days like this makes me wonder...
- I should add to my plan "do not hold any positions" if you are going away. Sure saved my tush big time today.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137721
Ignore sandjco
8/18/2017 10:19:59 AM

Back in at $73.13 on XIV for 1/5th of the tranche. Contemplating on TNA. But picked to short TZA at $18.40 for a very small position (testing the waters with shorting).

Can't really monitor the markets today so I am not 100% certain why i took this trade except for the fact that it showed up on my scans and I'm telling myself to trade the "plan".

I haven't caught up on the news nor have been able to tune in to the talking heads. I'll check back 12 PST to see how things are shaping up.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #137722
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
8/18/2017 12:57:08 PM

Lucky break - looks like the markets are going up following the announcement that Bannon may be fired today. XIV up 8% (still down about 8% from Wednesday's close, but you're in the green).

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137730
Ignore sandjco
modified
8/19/2017 12:00:25 AM

Yep, we may have caught a "lucky" break...however, was not able to sell today as I was happy to see it breach $77...had lunch and when I was about to sell before market closed...I couldn't (lack of cell signal of all things!). So, have to see and "manage" this position on Monday. NOTE to self: maybe an order to sell at a certain price point would have helped....

Trump elected...the market went up despite what I remembered to be the majority of the media predicting that it would be bad for the market due to his "protectionist" leanings.

What caused the Volatility to spike on Friday? I couldn't really pinpoint any particular event. Despite the spike in Volatility; none of the big name stocks seem to suffer any material run offs. Bizarre.

We are, however, approaching apparently what usually are the 2 crappy months of the year (Sep and Oct). So, maybe...should this bounce up happen, it may be short lived?

What info is just "noise"? For a guy like me who likes some semblance of "order" or a "defined" path, this adventure is both exhilarating and perplexing. I have to remind myself "plan the trade; trade the plan"; I have no control over the other variables nor do I pretend to know what will happen next.

Ah...this is why I find the markets so interesting. Kinda like trying to understand your spouse! Sort of...

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137732
Ignore sandjco
8/19/2017 1:57:15 AM

XIV > $85 or < $72
VXX >$14 or < $12
Which one will move where?

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #137739
Ignore mahkoh
8/19/2017 8:17:46 PM

At some point in time VXX will definitely go below 12

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137753
Ignore sandjco
8/20/2017 10:39:55 AM

VXX is due for the reverse split (4:1) on Aug 23rd. Every time it hits $25 and below, the issuer can reverse split the issue. This will be the 5th time since its inception in 2009.

Had VXX been around since the 1900's, I would think that these reverse splits would happen regardless as the market has always gone up outside of the spikes that would have had happen during the bear markets.

What Global event would trigger a "bear" market ala dot.com era or the financial crisis era? The common culprits so far are the Korean tension, terror in Europe, and the drama in the White House.

One could arguably see the dot.com bubble as well as the financial crisis brought about by the ninja jumbo mortgages. Interestingly enough...both occasions, the realization came about from conversations with taxi drivers in Vegas. The dot.com one was my driver claiming to "day trade" on the side and the second one to claim that he was able to buy 4 houses.

What is being missed this time?

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #137759
Ignore mahkoh
modified
8/20/2017 3:48:18 PM

Well, right after posting I realized I should have said 'the only way to prevent VXX from moving below 12 is reverse splitting it..'

What is missing?
I think the Fed losing access to the printers would cause a bear market.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137765
Ignore sandjco
8/20/2017 9:47:45 PM

"Fed losing access to printers...."

I know this has been debated within the academia...however, it seems to me that in reality....the "powers that be" will almost always have access to these printers in order to placate the masses and forward their agenda.

I may be wrong....the solution to the financial crisis was.....??? Not sure how you can wean off from crack (printers).

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137790
Ignore sandjco
8/22/2017 10:39:14 AM

While this wasn't part of the original plan...I'm gonna add to my XIV position at $80.64. Is this what's called "playing the bounce"?

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · A Newbie's Journey<< 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.