StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · A Newbie's Journey<< 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 48 >>Post Follow-up
sandjco
648 posts
msg #137518
Ignore sandjco
8/10/2017 12:35:39 PM

Guess I spoke too soon!

Apparently the markets are rattled by the Trump vs N.Korea? DOW is currently down 162 (yawn).

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137568
Ignore sandjco
modified
8/11/2017 12:28:21 PM

Ok...i'll bite! $77.50

YINN, INDL, LABU, PBYI, and MIDU on watch. Should I or should I not wait for it to go "red to green"....still the mind plays games.

XIV entry; didn't wait for it to go from "red" to "green". Then I checked the weekly chart after I placed the trade and I'm going ...uh oh....1/5 stream into the pot.

The logic (or lack of)...I would have thought the "news" would have shaken more from the tree...however, the market seems to be resilient. AAPL and FB barely gave any ground....

Trade is done; can't do anything about it now...just need to "manage" it.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137621
Ignore sandjco
8/14/2017 12:20:32 PM

shil...."you don't have to day trade; it is just an illness" and "everything comes easy to me; so I look for the easiest route"...

To exit with profits on all trades (exceeding 2% target on plan) or to hang on?

I'd like to take the EZ route; I am looking for the EZ route to simplify how to make money in stocks. Strangely, all my B&H portfolios have prospered over the past 20 years without the churn (maybe that is my "EZ" route?). I'd like to be that FUGLY guy with all the bikini babes attached to every appendage on my 3 pack bod!

Why "trade" then? For me, the reason is simple...I want to learn how to make money with the money I already have (and willing to risk) so I have something meaningful to do instead of playing golf!

I've recently tried Stratasearch (thanks Kevin); not to complicate my approach but to learn "back testing" and see the validity of the variables and parameters that I've used (even though the eye test and actual trades have panned out)...I'm curious. I'm also wanting to know if there are any exit triggers I could use mechanically.

But I like EZ...and am in search of EZ....but maybe it is my search for EZ that is making it not EZ for me?

shillllihs
5,974 posts
msg #137623
Ignore shillllihs
modified
8/14/2017 12:46:19 PM

The most money I've made has first come from business then real estate. Emotions and temptation to tinker come into play most when investing. How I have been able to amass 3 dozen properties and an Asian wife 16 yrs. younger than me. My 2% back on my CC. pays for at least 3 nice vacations a year. But if you can get beyond that, swing trades and long range trades with selling part or all at key levels and re-entering all the way up is my preferred way to go.
Be confident that you have caught the trend early and ride it, but at the same time, be confident you know your long term exit.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137647
Ignore sandjco
modified
8/14/2017 9:12:10 PM

shil..tks for sharing! I'll try to find a girlfriend 16 years younger...albeit it may cost me more than 50% of my assets!!!

"be confident that you have caught the trend and ride it; and know your exits" and "selling at key levels and re-entering up" ...

For a newbie, this is where it becomes nebulous to me because:
- "caught the trend"; what does that mean? when price breaks below and then reverses back up a certain moving average? Here's XIV...I'd like to think I've caught the bottom....but where would my exit be (maybe you are saying the exit is an individual's preference)

Or conversely, see if it is able to break overhead resistance of $88?

Guess this is where TRO's comment about the "art" in trading comes in play as there ain't no single answer...it all comes back to "me". This can be challenging when one has a personality that prefers a "defined" path.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137649
Ignore sandjco
8/14/2017 9:17:25 PM

Shared by four...but I'd like to keep a copy here since I'm documenting my trip....

Jesse Livermore
http://thereformedbroker.com/2013/08/03/nine-surprising-things-jesse-livermore-said/

Here are nine surprising things Jesse Livermore said regarding excessive trading:

1. “Money is made by sitting, not trading.”

2. “It takes time to make money.”

3. “It was never my thinking that made the big money for me, it always was sitting.”

4. “Nobody can catch all the fluctuations.”

5. “The desire for constant action irrespective of underlying conditions is responsible for many losses in Wall Street even among the professionals, who feel that they must take home some money everyday, as though they were working for regular wages.”

6. “Buy right, sit tight.”

7. “Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon.”

8. “Don’t give me timing, give me time.”

and finally, the most important thing:

9. “There is a time for all things, but I didn’t know it. And that is precisely what beats so many men in Wall Street who are very far from being in the main sucker class. There is the plain fool, who does the wrong thing at all times everywhere, but there is the Wall Street fool, who thinks he must trade all the time. Not many can always have adequate reasons for buying and selling stocks daily – or sufficient knowledge to make his play an intelligent play.”

four
5,087 posts
msg #137650
Ignore four
modified
8/14/2017 10:36:12 PM

Reinvesting Dividends vs. Not Reinvesting Dividends: A 50-Year Case Study of Coca-Cola Stock
https://www.joshuakennon.com/reinvesting-dividends-versus-not-reinvesting-dividends-coca-cola/

https://www.joshuakennon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Coca-Cola-Stock-with-Dividends-Reinvested-Over-Past-50-Years.png

Dividend Aristocrats
2017 Dividend Kings List: Dividend Stocks with 50+ Years of Rising Dividends

http://www.suredividend.com/dividend-kin

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137665
Ignore sandjco
modified
8/15/2017 3:54:01 PM

Thanks Four!

Most of us probably started our investment journey with the "buy and hold" mantra or the "stocks are risky; stay away" dogma from parents or friends that were burned or an advisor peddling house funds with trailers or underperforming brands or a broker that well...

like a blind squirrel finally finding a nut....i was intrigued by this company making the brains behind that box that had blinking green (or orange or white) cursor that was cooler than a typewriter (MSFT). I haven't looked back to leaving money with "advisors".

I was fortunate to have gone thru all of the above! The go go years of the Dotcom era showed me how acquaintances with no clue in any basic investment theories made a boatload of money catching the "trend". Seen some keep it (walked away completely) and some crashed and burned horribly.

Hence...I thought...hmmm...If I was able to learn AND control my own emotions....what would be the outcome? Here I am.

I've read a few books over time and have been in chatrooms and have spent my share of subscription $$...but I can honestly say....they pale in comparison (mind you, maybe it was necessary for me to go thru that prior journey) with what I have learned here.

Not looking for a "holy grail"; I just want to be consistent. Today was a perfect example....XIV should I have sold? It hit my profit target...but not my technical exit target. Should I sell and "hope" to buy lower again OR be "confident" in my entry and let it ride? I'm wanting that thought process to be made with more clarity.

So far...I've failed in keeping with the plan of taking the 2% profit or more (like what I have right now) and be happy to re-load. The "sit tight" mentality is winning. I am not sure which one is correct.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137689
Ignore sandjco
modified
8/17/2017 9:58:15 AM

XIV Sold position at $83.55

sandjco
648 posts
msg #137692
Ignore sandjco
modified
8/17/2017 10:33:24 AM

guess it locks out the edit function after a certain amount of time....

Why did I sell (talking to myself!)? While it did hit my PT target of 2%; I was tempted to hold it or sell half and let it ride. I've been wanting to scale into it by adding more when it broke $88; it never did.

I am gonna be away and didn't want to hold it over the weekend. So, really...it was a mishmash of reasons but the only reason that was close to the plan was that it hit my 2% target for the week.

For a B&H guy, this is the most difficult part to adjust to (not knowing if it is the right path). Wonder if this is what shils refer to as "spirit that moves me"...

ERX, OBE and UCO...to play or not to play...."you do not have to day trade; it is just an illness"

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · A Newbie's Journey<< 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 48 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.