StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · My Box Theory Site<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
murknd
62 posts
msg #27999
Ignore murknd
8/23/2003 9:18:16 PM

Noah:

Check out filter exchange - RumpledOne and I are making attempts at filters to screen for x day box break outs.

D

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #28000
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/23/2003 9:23:12 PM

Here you go, Eyoung... have fun with this...

Fetcher[close above 5 and average volume(90) above 1000000 and volume above average volume(90) and high reached a new 6 day high and close above high 1 day ago]

SF practically draws the box for you... also change the 6 to different numbers to find an optimum for you.

BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR FILTERS AND TRADES.

murknd
62 posts
msg #28031
Ignore murknd
8/25/2003 12:26:26 AM

Noah,

I think this is VERY close - check it out!! The back-test is not too shabby either.

Fetcher[26 day slope of high 26 day high 1 day ago equal 0 and high reached a new high 26 day high and close is between 1 and 10 and average volume(90) above 100000 and draw low 26 day low]

D

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #28033
Ignore TheRumpledOne
8/25/2003 9:24:39 AM

Murknd... nice job on the filter... Looks like you are almost there...

I think how one defines a BOX is what we should work on...

To me, that is the crux of the issue... agree?

Keep up the good work!

rrochon
117 posts
msg #28091
Ignore rrochon
8/27/2003 1:27:45 AM

Noah,

Stocks reaching new 26 week highs brings up too many stocks. Adding Price between 5 and 20 and average volume(90) still brings up too many. How do you thin out the list?

If I go 260 weeks and trading above 5 it returns a reasonable number, which is closer to "all time high".

Is there a better way to thin down the prospects?

Dick

Noahedwinbeach2
135 posts
msg #28094
Ignore Noahedwinbeach2
8/27/2003 4:09:12 AM

That is just it. I go through ever single stock no matter if its 100 or 500 stocks. The point is when i buy these stocks I only sell out when it drops below the previous box's low so I could be in a stock for a few months at a time. I rather go through 500 stocks to find the best stock than get a filter that limits my search because those limited stocks may not be as good as a stock that was passed up. Our trained eye can pickup on stocks that the filters can. If you will read his book you will notice he had a "feel" for the market and for stocks that were rising. You get a sense of stocks and its almost like you are one with the stocks. I do not care to let a filter decide for me. I just want it to show me stocks that have a general uptrend. I have found awsome stocks that the filters did not find in the past so I no longer rely on these filters. I do the work now because it only takes one decision. I am not a day trader so I do not rely on filters that really sort stocks out. I just need a general pattern for these stocks to find and my trained eye does the rest.

bob79924
38 posts
msg #28100
Ignore bob79924
8/27/2003 11:19:25 AM

To Noah et al:
I suspect that Darvas' box method is actually the forerunner of Cook's Rolling Stocks. If you can find a way to have Stock Fetcher select stocks that are in boxes, we may have found a way to locate rolling stocks. I read everything and appreciate the information I get from all of you. Sorry I can't contribute more to the task. Maybe when I am more experienced with Stock Fetcher.
Bob W.

rrochon
117 posts
msg #28106
Ignore rrochon
8/27/2003 2:49:28 PM

Noah, this is a filter that I devised for your Box method. See if it brings up the kind of stocks you want.

Fetcher[Price reached a new 260 week high high and average volume(90) is above 100000 and price is between 5 and 25]

Also, I tried to summarize your method. Please see if I came close.

NOAH’S BOX SYSTEM

1. Run a screen that selects stocks that are at an all time, or 5 year high.
2. A box is formed when it has not broken its previous high in four consecutive days.
3. Buy immediately after stock breaks out of the box, above its previous high.
4. Set a stop loss at 1% below the previous Box low.
5. Watch for a new high.
6. If the stock does not rise above the new high in four consecutive days this indicates that a new box has formed.
7. When stock rises above the new box high this is a breakout and time to update your stop loss to 1% below the box it just broke out of.
8. Continue watching for a new high, and four consecutive days without exceeding it, and breakout above it, to set a new stop loss.
9. If the stock reaches the stop loss it usually indicates that the stock is likely to start down.

Dick

Noahedwinbeach2
135 posts
msg #28109
Ignore Noahedwinbeach2
8/27/2003 5:02:07 PM

you got it bud. Right now though I am not looking at new 5 year or all time highs because the bear market pretty much drug most stocks into the dirt. Instead I am looking at stocks that have hit new 26 week highs. I am in TDF right now and got in at $13.02 last week. This stock is a good example of what I look for in a box stock.

trek
72 posts
msg #28116
Ignore trek
8/27/2003 10:07:06 PM

Dick,

Also remember that Darvas said "he wanted the stock trading at the 52 week high, to be near the all time high, but ALSO TO BE DOUBLE THE 52 WEEK LOW." If you are using 26 week high, may should use double 26 week low. This will cut down on the number of returns, also.

trek

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · My Box Theory Site<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.