StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · TRADING TIMES<< >>Post Follow-up
risjr
229 posts
msg #158541
Ignore risjr
2/8/2022 11:51:49 AM

Greetings All

Do anyone trade at market open, or pre-market?

If so, how? and with what indicators etc

Thanks in Advance

Ron

miketranz
956 posts
msg #158549
Ignore miketranz
2/8/2022 8:12:46 PM

Ron,good question.I've always wondered the same thing.The best I've seen is by a guy named TRO.You may want to ck it out.He developed a "buy zone" technique which you can find somewhere on here.He also did a few Utube clips which were quite interesting.I think it would be a great idea to have a day trade thread on this site.Best,Miketranz...

snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #158555
Ignore snappyfrog
modified
2/9/2022 5:46:21 AM

The only thing I trade at or near open are inside candles. I take a list of
favorite stocks (symlist) and look for inside candles. The next day
I will have alerts set for breaks above the high of that candle.

I also trade options on SPY using the 30 min opening range
breakout (ORB). So, I usually will get in that between 10 and 10:30
ET.

Otherwise, I am not in a rush to trade at open. I want to see where
my watchlists are going first. That first 15 min is too volatile for me.

I look for reversals throughout the day using price / RSI(14) divergence
on 5 min charts. This is where most of my day trading takes place.

Day trading is only about 10% of my trades. Swing trading is my
obsession.

compound_gains
221 posts
msg #158559
Ignore compound_gains
2/9/2022 11:27:01 AM

What timeframe? Day or swing? I pretty well only day trade now in my trading account so most of my entries are based on the open or the open relative to the day before. I trade four groupings...
1. LABD, LABU, JNUG, JDST, UVXY...These are most often ORBs.
2. High volatility...I have a SF filter for HV stocks. Each weekend I run it, pick the top three, and trade those through the week, looking for breakouts. Setups are mostly ORBs or opening plus a stretch factor, but I consider pivot point positioning.
3. Gap down long reversals...I have two filters that screen for two different types of gap downs. One is SF as it's a variation on the Connors gap down work done here on SF and it is run the night before. The other is more specific to the opening gap down.
4. Gap up long continuation...If there isn't much happening with 1, 2 or 3 I have a gap up filter and I'll look for long continuation prospects using OR and pullbacks.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #158561
Ignore miketranz
2/9/2022 1:36:48 PM

I started off years ago as a swing trader.However due to the current market environment of increased volatility,unpredictable futures after hours action,it's almost impossible to figure out where the markets going be,on a day to day basis with any amount of consistency.I trade off the 9:30 open till around 11.After that time the screen shuts down and I find it's mostly random price action,untll the close.If I happen to "carry over" a position thats been trending strongly till the next day open,I'm either selling into strength or getting stopped out.I've found time and time again any holding past that time frame tends to go against me.That's the extent of what I would call a swing trade nowadays.The name of the game is consistency.Best,Miketranz...

snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #158562
Ignore snappyfrog
2/9/2022 3:58:27 PM

@compound_gains

What time period do you use for ORB? I typically use 30 min
and looking at 15 min on paper trading.

compound_gains
221 posts
msg #158564
Ignore compound_gains
2/9/2022 5:13:36 PM

@compound_gains

What time period do you use for ORB? I typically use 30 min
and looking at 15 min on paper trading.
====================================================

15m with a pullback but I track using the 5m. AFRM today was both a weekly HV and a gap up, set up nicely between R1 and R2 with a pullback, had a tight close above the 15m high on the 5m, and made a nice run.

risjr
229 posts
msg #158565
Ignore risjr
2/9/2022 8:18:42 PM

Thanks for all of the responses!

I just found a guy, or youtube, who uses 2 min intervals, with 20 dma crossing over 200 dma, usually in the1st 20 mins of the opening bell!

The 20 min trader, on youtube

Seems to work, most of the time

But need to development a filter that can catch stocks,

KAVL started out great...but still doing research

Ron

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #158566
Ignore davesaint86
modified
2/10/2022 1:32:47 PM

https://www.tradingview.com/x/7pxxMaoU/

I mainly trade using the 5-min chart, but first look at the 1 hour and 15-minute chart for the trend. I also use the 30-min ORB. I just start recently using the Williams Fractals while looking for price to be over all the moving averages and RSI over 50. Yesterday there were plenty good setups. Look at QCOM. Today, not so good due to the spike in the 10-year yield.

NVDA - https://www.tradingview.com/x/wyFSd83a/ - for now about all of the moving averages on the daily. Should be able to make some money if the 10-year yield drops.

Davesaint

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · TRADING TIMES<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.