StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stratasearch Resurrection<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
BlackBars
54 posts
msg #143280
Ignore BlackBars
4/20/2018 6:23:36 PM

For months I have conducted a series of successful live trades entirely using Stratasearch as my apparatus and started to make a killer outside of my investment-banking career. It is such a damn shame to witness such a demise in a beautiful software, unfortunately.

At Goldman we are traditionally not accustomed to affiliating with strategy systems not already allocated by our provider for system trading. Stratasearch is not native to our firm for evident reasons. But the termination of this software is tragic because I was only starting to utilize it for my own leisure. Furthermore, I was also on the verge of retiring early with the intent of using a portion of my 10 million dollars in personal capital to trade using systems based upon non-private software. Either way, I have a plentiful amount of options regarding the use of my abundant capital outside of swing trading. But I ask as plangent as can be, WHEN will this software return (if anybody knows), or IF it even will return? If not, would someone be amiable enough to direct me to some alternative software related in features to this notable program referred to as "Stratasearch".

scvidar
87 posts
msg #143281
Ignore scvidar
4/21/2018 11:09:44 AM

With 10 million behind you, why not offer to buy out Stratasearch?

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #143282
Ignore nibor100
4/21/2018 1:46:01 PM

@blackbars,

Looking at the StrataSearch help PDF it appears that the program was able to run while user's computers were not connected to the internet, so even though the StrataSearch website has been taken down, I would expect the free version of the program to still work unless the owner coded in some kind of kill switch.

There were some Windows updates in March and mid April that might be stopping it from running properly, so perhaps you can roll back an update or two and see if it runs then; or perhaps it will run on a different older version of Windows.

Ed S.

BlackBars
54 posts
msg #143283
Ignore BlackBars
4/21/2018 3:05:42 PM

scvidar,

Ultimately it would depend on what I would accumulate if I was to purchase ownership. Certainly I do not have the time nor the incentive to sustain Stratasearch on my own. If it comes with a developer who works for free (which I doubt he would) then I would ponder acquiring ownership. Keep in mind, there is probably a stern inexplicit reason it ended. However I am more than contented to talk to the owner and discuss the subject.

------------------------------------

nibor100,

Would be more than happy to do just as you stated, but I run into a conflict. The website being inaccessible is the prime obstacle along with the installed software itself being another!

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #143287
Ignore nibor100
4/21/2018 9:28:07 PM

@blackbars,

I did a little more investigating and the fix on my Windows 10 machine turned out to be much easier than I had originally surmised.

Instead of searching the Help pdf for 'www" as I had done earlier I searched for all instances of "web" and found this single little snipet:

"Check for Program Updates Automatically at Startup: When checked, StrataSearch will
automatically check the StrataSearch.com website for program updates each time you launch
the program."

So I disconnected my PC from the internet, double clicked the StrataSearch icon to run the program and Voila! it ran without crashing.

I updated some data in Excel to do ASCII import and that worked fine, ran daily signals, combinations etc. and all seemed to work fine.

I then went to Setups, System Settings, General, and I unchecked the box "Check for program updates automatically at startup"

I exited the program, re-connected my PC to the internet and started the program again and it did not crash and has been running for the past hour or so.

Hope this works for those of you it stopped working for.
Ed S.

Note, As I read the help PDF it indicates that the program accesses that old website in a couple of other instances, such as getting initial info for Yahoo and MSN stock data retrievals, so you'll have to use the other options for data retrieval, of which there are several described in the Help pdf.

stephenmcmahon83
15 posts
msg #143298
Ignore stephenmcmahon83
modified
4/23/2018 10:43:32 AM

Nibor100,

Thank you so much for sharing this information. Similar to Blackbear, I too was disheartened when I tried to run Statasearch recently and could not. Disappointment turned turned to despair when I went to the Stratasearch website and found that it had completely disappeared.

Now that stratsearch website/support is gone, it might be wise for us to setup a continuing thread for questions regarding debugging, scripting, data uploads, etc....now that the website is gone, I imagine that the user numbers will continue to dwindle as time goes on and it may be increasingly difficult to resolve questions that we have regarding the program (as users become more and more distant from one another).

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Edit: question for Nibor100 - does this mean that we will have to manually update our data going forward (cannot set Stratasearch to autoupdate from yahoo finance, etc)?

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #143301
Ignore nibor100
4/23/2018 1:59:52 PM

@stephenmcmahon83,

1. Is your copy of Stratasearch back up and running now?

If so, have you tried a Yahoo update to see what happens? (perhaps if you have done a Yahoo data update before, your copy of Stratasearch no longer has the need to go to the old Statasearch.com website for that format definitions information)

I've only done manual ASCII data uploads for one symbol, XIV during the K of G XIV system following so I really don't have any knowledge of the Yahoo multiple symbol nightly update process.

2. The Help pdf I keep referring to is the same help file that is available when Stratasearch is running and you choose Help from the top menu.

Note you can no longer download that Help file as a pdf since the old website is gone.
You can open the Help file on your pc without the program running by Opening it directly from the file folder it is located in since it is a Microsoft HTML Help file.

3. Other bad news is that the excellent Stratasearch forum is also gone because the old website is gone.

However, one can find many/several Stratasearch forum posts by using Google to search for StrataSearch, or 'StrataSearch view topic' or 'StrataSearch view forum' and then click on the little down pointing triangle to get access to the Google Cache of that particular forum webpage.

On some of the cached pages you'll see links to other forum posts but those links will not work; however, if you put the text of the link into a google search box preceded by 'Stratasearch' sometimes the cached webpage for that forum post will show up.

Thanks,
Ed S.

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #143305
Ignore davesaint86
modified
4/23/2018 8:44:23 PM

http://www.stratasearchdownload.com/

This URL will take you to a link to load StrataSearch Version 4.5.42

stephenmcmahon83
15 posts
msg #143403
Ignore stephenmcmahon83
5/1/2018 11:00:37 AM

Nibor,

I was able to get my Stratasearch working, and it still imports the price data from Yahoo. Very grateful for all your help.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #143431
Ignore nibor100
5/2/2018 4:03:51 PM

@stephenmcmahon83,

I downloaded the latest free version of StrataSearch per davesaint86's post and even with the box checked, to first go to the missing Stratasearch.com website, the program continues to run without shutting down, so apparently some kind of fix was made.

I decided to try the Yahoo import of prices, but after running for about an hour it shut off with only a few hundred symbols loaded.

Do you have any tips on how to get the Yahoo import of prices in StrataSearch to execute the entire task?

Thanks,
Ed S.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stratasearch Resurrection<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.