StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Picks and Pans Since Jan 2020<< 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29 >>Post Follow-up
sandjco
648 posts
msg #151929
Ignore sandjco
4/27/2020 9:18:13 AM

"Learnings" from the recent meltdown...notes to self:
- The discipline to tune out the "noise" (news, stats (me looking at the corona virus odometer), etc...)
- It is "you" and your "system"; no better way to validate that than real money WITH risk controls
- "Trading" is indeed an "art"...buy set ups may be mechanical but exits are hard (I found taking profits to be extremely hard specially when one thinks you've bought bottom)...
- The "trend" is indeed your friend until it isn't...

Where are we going?...So far...up

sandjco
648 posts
msg #151934
Ignore sandjco
4/27/2020 5:39:39 PM

YOLO?

Picked up 50 contracts using $3 as cost basis of the Jan 2022 $3C.

Yes, absolutely went over my position sizing limit for options. Yep, maybe getting too drunk with results. Yep, agonized over pulling the trigger for 1 minute.

Will sell if contracts lose 50% of its value...

sandjco
648 posts
msg #151970
Ignore sandjco
4/29/2020 11:17:31 PM

Shoulda...coulda..woulda...hmmm...this may be ugly ...gotta wait till May 4th to know if debt is being restructured. Can't see why not...this could be an expensive cray cray lesson in leading expectations to believing.

On the bright side...
IWM motors on...

Uncle Elon keeps on giving...

PAYC keeps on paying

QQQ...the wonderful mistake of the 250Cs

KRE...keep on stocking up...

FNGU..happy proxy for the big guns

A stampeding bullish market does indeed cover one's foolish wart sometimes.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #152006
Ignore sandjco
4/30/2020 9:49:22 PM

Chickened out on HTZ...sold 40 contracts using $2.60 EOD for a 15% loss. Stubbornly keeping 10 contracts to see how it unfolds.

Why did I sell? Live to trade another day....better with ammo than without. Can always come back and play later.
Why did I jump in to start with? Showing double bottom; Icahn owns > 30% of it...should be able to bail it out. Lenders will see the issue as pandemic related and may defer or restructure rather than write it off.

Why not double down? Hmmm...no derp plays i said to myself ;=P

sandjco
648 posts
msg #152045
Ignore sandjco
5/3/2020 7:00:52 PM

Maybe i'm over complicating things again after being spoiled....

Trying to pick the "best" entry (HTZ) is appearing to be almost like a lost cause given my limited skill sets. I should be happy just catching 80% of the trade and move on as those have been what is working.

Picked up SRTY EOD $19.08 will use $16 stop

SPY to tip or not to tip. Short EOD $282.79

AAPL blahhh? Short $289

sandjco
648 posts
msg #152049
Ignore sandjco
modified
5/4/2020 2:29:05 PM

Sell in May and go away apparently....SPY closed at 282.79 on May 1st. Lets' see what happens; March low was 222.95 a 60 point swing.

Apparently, we will drop another 40% from here....given the states are trying to re-open. Could the "re-opening" and then the possible consequences of it spreading again be the fuel to tilt the market or are these just noise?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-year-is-lining-up-exactly-like-the-2000-dot-com-bubble-crash-stocks-will-drop-40-from-here-former-goldman-manager-says-2020-05-04?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

The big FANGs have reported...what is the upside in holding before the next earnings releases? Uncle Warren apparently dumped his airline holdings and is sitting on a 150B cash.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #152057
Ignore sandjco
5/5/2020 11:13:08 AM

Getting my tush handed to me with the shorts; closed for losses. Will stay on the sideline to ponder about life....;=P

sandjco
648 posts
msg #152114
Ignore sandjco
5/8/2020 6:32:22 PM

3MM Americans lost their jobs...and the markets have been on a tear since Mar lows. IF that ain't a bull...don't know what is!!!

The market really does seem to look ahead....

xarlor
562 posts
msg #152117
Ignore xarlor
5/8/2020 10:31:10 PM

I know you've seen the comparisons between the Great Depression chart and the current chart. This is something I've been doing for the past couple weeks.

I take the WEEKLY Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) chart of the Great Depression.
I take the DAILY DJIA chart of the current situation, dubbed the Great Lockdown.
I superimpose the latter on the former and get chills.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #152118
Ignore sandjco
modified
5/9/2020 12:17:48 AM

Thanks Xarlor! I haven't seen that and I appreciate you sharing.

Interestingly....my "belief" and "expectations" was that the market would tip given the corona virus stats despite the trend showing that it was "still" on an uptrend.

That belief led me to buy puts and SRTY BEFORE any indicators for a correction flashed (hence, I was leading my "beliefs" dictate my trades). What has provided me with more than the necessary cushions were the calls bought when it was a gong show (which I am now having to face with the decision to liquidate or not). However, that also provided me with the false arrogance to trade HTZ and didn't "think twice" of the possible loss holding long dated calls.

So..in the end, I am not happy with how I reacted to what was in front of me as I let emotions dictate what I was trading. That is the part that I am trying so very hard to improve on. Based on my recent trades (HTZ, SRTY, AAPL puts and SPY short), I have miserable failed and my mistakes are falsely masked by the huge gains on my other calls bought without emotions.

I know that I cannot succeed long term if I keep on making the same mistakes. I am not sure if there is a quick fix as it is solely up to me. I also find sitting on cash so difficult specially when one has reaped the returns so easily.

Maybe I am over thinking this....I am continually being humbled by Mr. or Ms. Market. And so it should be given my lack of maturity in being able to deal with its whims.

Didn't post it..but I scalped TWLO, BYND, EVBG, ENPH and AYX. Didn't care about buying the "low"; focused merely on catch the 80% of the possible run. I should be more than happy but I don't know why the mistakes I made are bothering me so much. I know it is a "me" problem.

Thank you for dropping by and sharing; I appreciate it.

BTW..the other thing I do know...as long as money can be "printed"....it can fix most issues; we just end up paying for it one way or another...i have to listen to the market...till it says bear...the trend is up.

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Picks and Pans Since Jan 2020<< 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.