StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stop Losses<< >>Post Follow-up
snappyfrog
711 posts
msg #161165
Ignore snappyfrog
6/27/2024 9:20:03 AM

Curious what everyone's take is on stop losses. I set stop losses at 3% - 15% depending on the price of the stock. If a stock moves in my favor, I change to a trailing stop loss.

"Several eminent traders have, over the years, tested different stop loss strategies and came to the conclusion
that stop loss rarely works in your favor. It is rare to find a winning stop loss — a stop loss that does what it is believed
to do, which is to prevent catastrophic losses. What usually happens is that the price hits your stop loss and after a
while goes back in the direction you predicted. This can be very frustrating, as it seems to limit your strategy’s profitability,
rather than limiting losses.

This sentiment has been echoed by top traders, such as Larry Connors, Curtis Faith, and DE Shaw. For example, after
running hundreds of tests to find the optimal stop loss levels, Larry Connors came to the conclusion that optimal stop
levels do not exist. Instead, he found that stop loss hurts performance. Curtis Faith of the Richard Dennis Turtle experiment
and DE Shaw also came to a similar conclusion. Curtis found that the best performance is without a stop loss."

xarlor
574 posts
msg #161166
Ignore xarlor
6/27/2024 3:47:52 PM

In the end, it depends on your profit target strategy. The only way to find out if a stop-loss is beneficial is data.

For example, I had a recent strategy where upon opening a position, I set an OCO order for 5% profit or 5% trailing stop. After doing about 150 live trades, I analyzed the data and saw that over half of my trades were getting stopped out for a -2.0% loss. This means over half the time, these stocks rose to a peak of 3.0% profit and eventually dropped 5% to hit the trailing stop loss.

So I adjusted my OCO to 2% profit or 5% stop loss. Although I was only realizing 2% max profit, it increased my winning percentage to 63% and made this particular strategy profitable:

Win percentage: 63%
Loss percentage: 37%
Average winner: 2.32% (thanks to gappers)
Average loser: -3.91%

But again, it depends on your strategy. I found this article also profitable for buy-and-hold strategies. It recommends setting a hard 8% stop loss and profit taking at 20%. There are nuances to the rules, but it is well thought out and explained.

snappyfrog
711 posts
msg #161167
Ignore snappyfrog
6/27/2024 6:45:09 PM

xarlor, good read on that link. Thanks

snappyfrog
711 posts
msg #161168
Ignore snappyfrog
6/27/2024 6:59:23 PM

I look at possible runs for risk / reward, but I don't set take profit targets. I use trailing stop losses to try to
ride the run as far as possible. Too many times in the past I got out at targets only to see price continue to run up.

miketranz
959 posts
msg #161169
Ignore miketranz
6/28/2024 10:56:19 AM

I agree it depends on your basic trading style,holding time,mental strength.I've also read positive data on "no stops".I believe it may possibly work,but all you need is that one bad trade to wipe out your account.Best,Miketranz....

snappyfrog
711 posts
msg #161171
Ignore snappyfrog
6/28/2024 7:27:53 PM

Mike, I totally agree. I am not comfortable not having some type of stop loss.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stop Losses<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.