StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Can someone please clarify to me why the DMA is so significant?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
TRMX
3 posts
msg #143559
Ignore TRMX
5/14/2018 11:53:07 PM

Yes thank you Mactheriverrat

BlackBars
54 posts
msg #143560
Ignore BlackBars
5/15/2018 2:25:42 AM

Ugh, even more bewildering. What the is the intention of Stockfetcher not even having the moving average correctly "displaced" instead of some wacky formula behind it as its substitute? I respect Mac's strategy of course, but what is the initial point of Stockfetcher not even having its DMA "DISPLACED"??

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #143561
5/15/2018 8:05:40 AM

If possible, can you provide more details on how the DMA is not displaced on StockFetcher?

For example, in a 14-day negative displaced DMA, the value matches the 14 days ago matches the current day MA:

Fetcher[
apply to symlist(AAPL,GE)
add column DMA(28,-14) 14 days ago
add column MA(28)
]

Thank you!
StockFetcher Support

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #143564
Ignore nibor100
5/15/2018 2:27:38 PM

As evidenced by the posts of SAFeTRADE and Stockfetcher, it appears to me that the Displaced Moving Average (DMA) calculation used by SF for displacing today's value for a given moving average a (-)minus X number of the days in the past is done correctly and that specific value is correctly shown on the SF graphs returned by the filters.

Adding to the confusion is the simple fact that SF is not truncating the DMA line on the graph to the right of the (-)minus X number of days in the past, as can be seen done on some of the charts in the link that Four posted. That seems to be a more common way of drawing DMAs.

(SF actually kind of does that kind of truncating in its graphical displays of its Detrended Price Oscillator (DPO) indicator)

SF has chosen to draw a continuous line from that point (-) minus X number of days in the past, thru to today's date, using a formula that calculates a different moving average value for each day(counting downward by one for each day drawn to the right of the point of displacement.

Even further confusion might be experienced by some when contemplating the Custom Moving Average (CMA) calculations being applied to the DMA calculations in some of the filters being posted.

Ed S.

BlackBars
54 posts
msg #143565
Ignore BlackBars
5/15/2018 3:14:18 PM

Fetcher[
apply to symlist(SPY)
add column DMA(28,-14)
add column MA(28) 14 days ago

draw MA(28)
draw DMA(28,-14)
]

Stockfetcher,

I perceive the displacement, but there is a MISSING gap where there should be one. On top of that, what is the intention of that "extra" line?

stockfetcher
979 posts
msg #143566
5/15/2018 3:23:58 PM

If possible can you provide more details concerning an "extra line"? We only see the 2 MA's in the chart resulting from your example filter.

As detailed in a prior email response, StockFetcher does not display a GAP on the chart for negatively displaced MA's.

... For an DMA(n,-p), the final p days of the DMA are simply:

DMA(n,-p)[0] = MA(n - p)
DMA(n,-p)[1] = MA(n - p + 1)
DMA(n,-p)[n-p] = MA(n)

Or, in StockFetcher syntax, you can compare the pairs below:

close is above 50
and average volume(30) is above 1000000

/* DMA(n,-p)[0] */
add column DMA(10,-4)
add column MA(6)

/* DMA(n,-p)[1] */
add column DMA(10,-4) 1 day ago
add column MA(7)

/* DMA(n,-p)[n-p] */
add column DMA(10,-4) 4 days ago
add column MA(10)

Thank you,
StockFetcher

shillllihs
5,974 posts
msg #143567
Ignore shillllihs
modified
5/15/2018 4:33:20 PM

DMA makes little hearts pitter patter since it’s perceived as significant because of its first impression that it’s The Holy Grail, so therefore harder to give up. But you eventually will.

I for one have fallen in love with Keltner and BB. and believe most systems should start there.
I use both in conjunction.

Mactheriverrat
3,135 posts
msg #143569
Ignore Mactheriverrat
5/15/2018 8:44:34 PM

shillllihs
Its always something negative with you.

shillllihs
5,974 posts
msg #143576
Ignore shillllihs
5/16/2018 12:04:40 AM

Idk. wtf. you are talking about. I’m like the 5th person on this thread saying DMA is like a ghost.
I wanted to believe in it but it’s bullshit.

Mactheriverrat
3,135 posts
msg #143577
Ignore Mactheriverrat
5/16/2018 1:26:44 AM

I'm sorry my bad . To each their own. If no one likes it then by all means don't use it.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Can someone please clarify to me why the DMA is so significant?<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.