StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Price Pattern Matches 2boxer<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
2BOXER
3 posts
msg #325
Ignore 2BOXER
1/11/2003 9:26:11 PM

I have just discovered a nice screen. Choose a hot sector (through ETF), enter that sector or industry in "My Filters" then "analyze" THAT EFT. Down that page is the "Short Term Price Pattern Matches", click on the time frame you like and pull up that page. At the bottom of page you "Chain" that price pattern to the sector or industry in "My Filters". Then go to "Match List" to match the combined filter to your favorite TA screens! THIS SITE IS A ONE STOP SHOP!

sarohde
14 posts
msg #379
Ignore sarohde
2/2/2003 11:02:06 PM

Please explain what "ETF" is?

Thanks.

wallman
299 posts
msg #385
Ignore wallman
2/3/2003 7:30:30 PM

2BOXER good screen is right,but try this if you haven't already,go for the worst performing ETF's and when you screen them, take the worst of the worst and short them,i've been shorting them for over a year now and results are unreal,there was a period last summer when the 25 worst ETF's ALL declined 6 weeks in a row(DSG-$10,BBH-$10,EKH-$10,IXN-$13 and on and on)the HOLDERS work best because the stocks in their portfolios must be held for a year from what i've read,hence the name holders,therefor once they start to go down the fund can't unload them and they are stuck with them no matter what(witch is great for us),one note however,with my broker ETF's must be transacted on phone with live broker and a 100 share minimum,thanks for the screen

faraway
16 posts
msg #387
Ignore faraway
2/3/2003 8:03:19 PM

G-E-E-E-Z ... will someone tell us less-informed members what ETFs are?

wallman
299 posts
msg #388
Ignore wallman
2/3/2003 8:03:57 PM

SAROHDE, A ETF (exchange traded fund)is basically a mutual fund that trades like a stock,that is it can be bought or sold at a realtime price at anytime of the day and also can be shorted,they are a "basket" of stocks of the same sector (bio's,semi's,softwr)or countrys(japan,europe,france) like mutual sector funds,make great short canidates cause once they start to go down they KEEP going down awhile(unless we get a bull market,remember them????)
regards MUDDY

wallman
299 posts
msg #389
Ignore wallman
2/3/2003 8:21:50 PM

go to AMEX.com(cause they are traded on american stock exchange),on home page click on ETF's and also HOLDERS,you'll find more than you probably want to know. MUDDY

faraway
16 posts
msg #391
Ignore faraway
2/4/2003 6:17:20 AM

Thanks, MUDDY. I appreciate both the reply, and the explanation of your approach. I'm still somewhat green, but shorting stocks appears to make a lot of sense, since it's easier to lose money than to make it ;-)

easymoney
1 posts
msg #446
Ignore easymoney
2/13/2003 12:25:57 PM

Regarding the components of a Holder this is from the AMEX

"Do the underlying stocks change? The specific underlying stocks and the respective share amounts represented in each round-lot of 100 HOLDRS are established on a date prior to the HOLDRS initial public offering. Absent a corporate event undertaken by an issuer of an underlying stock, these share amounts will not change. However, because the relative weightings of the stocks are a function of market prices, these weightings will change substantially over time."

So you are correct in that a HOLDER is 'stuck' with both bad and good stocks as it is not an actively managed fund.

wallman
299 posts
msg #449
Ignore wallman
2/13/2003 8:03:02 PM

yes,stocks in HOLDERS must be held no matter how bad their performance,the equivalent to not being able to use a stop loss on an individual stock.In shorting a single stock you always run the risk of good news coming out one day with no warning while you're holding it and i've seen cases where they have gapped 30% or more on open and it just gets worse thru the day(greed),with HOLDERS that stock is just 1 in a hundred in that "basket" making them alot less risky.I've found that they work really well for me with bollinger bands,when they near that top band they've usually had it for awhile (check chart for PPH),found ETF's that work just as well,a stop loss(mental or physical)though should always be used, good luck, MUDDY

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #464
Ignore karennma
2/17/2003 11:57:20 AM

sarohde:
Did u figure out how to do this?
I didn't.
karen

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Price Pattern Matches 2boxer<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.