StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · SWING TRADING<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up
TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57299
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/1/2007 1:41:54 PM

"The file size is 264kb; if you would like I can send it to you. "

Would you mind posting it on a public file share like google docs?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57300
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/1/2007 1:49:09 PM

"I don't think anything is being debated."

That's debatable...LOL!!

"Trading and investing are seperate and should be treated accordingly."

Are they? Are you sure?

When you enter a trade, you enter with the idea of exiting with a gain. Don't investors do the EXACT same thing?

Let's say you "invest" in a company's stock on 1/1/2008. On June 30, 2008, you are up 50%. On Dec 31, 2008, you are down 50%. Hmmm... is that long term investing? How many investors would be wishing that they had sold?

Could investors be "lazy" traders?

Do you really want to "invest" in today's marketplace?

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #57301
Ignore betyerbottomdollar
12/1/2007 2:04:47 PM

Just for the record, my backtest and all of my trading is just that. Trading. Nothing I mentioned was buy n hold. The backtest was entering stocks when the filter pinged em and exiting when the equities closed above the upper bollinger band.

betyerbottomdollar
169 posts
msg #57302
Ignore betyerbottomdollar
12/1/2007 2:25:55 PM

TRO, I am having trouble with uploading the file to google docs. I had to convert the WPD file to HTML, but when I uploaded it the buy n sell arrows I had placed on top of the charts ended up just below them, doing no good.

I also tried emailing myself the file and the charts were left completely behind. Any suggestions?

luc1grunt
622 posts
msg #57303
Ignore luc1grunt
12/1/2007 2:36:32 PM

What do I know about long term investing, he he.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #57304
Ignore nikoschopen
12/1/2007 2:53:07 PM

The file size is 264kb; if you would like I can send it to you.

I should first clarify that it's not my purpose to disparage those who use backtest. As a former backtest junkie, I know its importance. But I also know that backtesting alone is no sure bet to one's success.

Hence, it would be a benefit for this curious bystander as well as countless other ilks like me if you could just create a thread dedicated for this purpose. You can then

1) post ure backtest results and the filter that was used in the backtest
2) give the name of every stock that was traded, including the dates and time
3) give a brief description or rationale for why you bought or sold the stock
**please do not omit the losers as others are so prone to do**

One of my personal gripes about this forum (or any other forums for that matter) is that it's not analytical enough. For instance, we rarely ask among ourselves why a particular trade didn't pan out. We're perhaps too damn focused on what works (that's no surprise) but don't devote enough time to the question of why the rest didn't. Even with the ones that did work, we could get a better handle by analyzing just what made the trade work. Was it simply the rising tide that lifted the stock in question as we're seeing with the current market, or if it is tied to the premises written in the filter then which particular one carries the bigger weight?

By no means am I emphasizing that you should reveal everything. I know that this can be very personal, as it should be. But by analyzing the trades against the backtest, I believe we could get a better sense of how one really stacks up against the other.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #57305
Ignore nikoschopen
12/1/2007 2:55:07 PM

Niko, since I'm too lazy to keep searching for what I know was once posted.....can i get your e-mail?

my username at gmail dot com

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57308
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
12/1/2007 5:17:33 PM

DITTO!

my username at gmail dot com

This thread sure got off topic quick!!

Back to SWING TRADING.

alf44
2,025 posts
msg #57320
Ignore alf44
modified
12/1/2007 10:23:01 PM

Narrowest range in the last 7 days
3 consecutive days with small range

The point of a wedge
A breakaway gap
A rising ADX (14-period) above 32

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I see you're looking at "Price Contraction" to foretell possible explosive moves ! :)

Regards,

alf44

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #57326
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/1/2007 10:49:47 PM

Not me!

I just found that link on the net and copied a few lines.

Then was messing around writing a filter..that's all.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · SWING TRADING<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.