StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How would you code this?<< >>Post Follow-up
JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #150117
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/5/2020 2:23:34 PM

Let me start by saying that I love these forums. I've learned a lot just by searching them. I've learned there's a lot I don't know too, but I enjoy working out some of the more complex filters (TRO's for example) to see if I can understand how they're thinking. I've been trying to learn as much about trading as I can so I've been reading a lot of web sites and watching a lot of videos. I know there's no "magic formula" out there that will work for everyone, mainly because we all have different trading styles though we all have the same goal - to make money by trading.

One of the people I like on YouTube is Jared Wesley from Live Traders. In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjUd82NVVg) he talks about what he calls the 3 Bar Play. It's a long video but the explanation starts about 10 minutes in.

I don't know if it's something that would work for me but I'd like to at least paper trade it for a while. He says it can be used in any time frame (I'm looking to use it on a daily time frame) but I have no idea how to write an SF filter for it. I've got the following for the first part about a close above resistance, but can't figure out how to code for an open being the same as a previous days close. I've searched the forums, I've searched the Guide, and there's nothing I can find about any kind of "equal" situation. Anyway, here's what I've got so far and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Fetcher[show stocks where close 3 days ago was below Resistance Line(45,15,2)
and close 2 days ago was above Resistance Line(45,15,2)
]

JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #150118
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/5/2020 2:33:17 PM

I just wanted to add that what I like about Jared is that he doesn't say "do this and you'll get rich quick." He talks about how trading can be simple but that doesn't make it easy. He also stresses the importance of money management through things like limiting your position size and using stops. Is his trading advice any good? I don't know. But I agree with that part of what he says so I'm willing to see if it works for me.

JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #150120
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/5/2020 4:12:36 PM

I don't believe this. I was just reading this post (https://stockfetcher.com/forums/General-Discussion/Open-Price-equal-the-low-price-for-the-day/150058) and I think xarlor answered the question. Obviously I missed any mention of "equals" in the forums and Guide, but I'm going to play with this and see if it works.

xarlor
561 posts
msg #150126
Ignore xarlor
modified
1/5/2020 7:01:20 PM

3-bar play

Fetcher[
not otcbb
average volume(30) > 250000

/* Bar 1 */

set{3mh,high 3 month high 3 days ago}
close 2 days ago crossed above 3mh

set{hilo,high - low}
set{WRB,ATR(60) 3 days ago * 2}
hilo 2 days ago > WRB

/* Bar 2 */

set{DP1,Day Position(0.50,1) 2 days ago}
low 1 day ago > DP1
high 1 day ago < high 2 days ago * 1.03

/* Bar 3 */

low > DP1
high > high 1 day ago
high > high 2 days ago

/* Resistance line */

draw price line at 3mh

do not draw 3mh
do not draw hilo
do not draw wrb
do not draw dp1
]

4-bar play
First hit as of this post is BTI on 11/25/19

Fetcher[
not otcbb
average volume(30) > 250000

/* Bar 1 */

set{3mh,high 3 month high 4 days ago}
close 3 days ago crossed above 3mh

set{hilo,high - low}
set{WRB,ATR(60) 4 days ago * 2}
hilo 3 days ago > WRB

/* Bar 2 */

set{DP1,Day Position(0.50,1) 3 days ago}
low 2 days ago > DP1
high 2 days ago < high 3 days ago * 1.03

/* Bar 3 */

low 1 day ago > DP1
high 1 day ago < high 3 days ago * 1.03

/* Bar 4 */

low > DP1
high > high 1 day ago
high > high 2 days ago
high > high 3 days ago

/* Resistance line */

draw price line at 3mh

do not draw 3mh
do not draw hilo
do not draw wrb
do not draw dp1
]

JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #150133
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/5/2020 9:57:06 PM

Awesome, xarlor! Thank you! I'll let you know how it works out.

cvernooy23
1 posts
msg #152710
Ignore cvernooy23
modified
6/22/2020 7:20:21 PM

as there hasn't been any follow up from the OP, I have some questions about this filter. I watched the same presentation from Jared @LiveTraders and I don't think this filter follows the logic of what Jared was presenting, maybe I'm wrong, let me explain.

bar 1:
the strict determination that bar1 is greater than the 3 month high seems very arbitrary and restrictive, I would think you would want to do days, not months. better than that, I would think just detecting a stock that has had a fairly high (8-10%) change, where open > close (bullish) or open < close (bearish) X days ago (3 or 4 based on the 3 or 4 bar play)

bar2:
next day should have a "baby bar" where open and close are fairly close without high/low being X percent (say 4%?) greater/less than the high/low respectively. this bar can be in any direction (up/down), as explained by Jared.

bar 3:
Low >= close of bar2 and a similar percent change compared to day 1 of the pattern

would this not be a better way to detect this on the daily timeframe? I'm really struggling with the stockfetcher filtering language, and I write automation as one of my primary functions (IT engineer).

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How would you code this?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.