StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How to find job as a professional trader?<< >>Post Follow-up
rrrbbbggguo
29 posts
msg #37719
Ignore rrrbbbggguo
8/30/2005 3:45:42 PM

Hi, Friends / experts:

I am a scientist in drug company for 15 years, but I am quite interested to change my career to a prfessional stock trader. Does anyone know how to make this happen? and what the salary level will be? if my trade are very successful, what kind bonus will be?

Thanks!!

trade_4_money
6 posts
msg #37746
Ignore trade_4_money
8/31/2005 7:35:01 PM

It'll take years of experience and learning to be a successful professional trader.

To be a professional trader, you need to pass Series 7, 55, and 63 exams, then you join one of the trading firms. Some firms require you to make an initial deposit in your sub account, but mostly, you trade with their own capital. You share 50% of the profit with them. As far as bonus, after you made $100K net profit, your payout could be raised to 75%. Most of these firms have strict trader guidelines, you have to follow them and be disciplined on every trade.

Since you're trading as a pro, you'll need to pay SEC fees, ECN fees and registration fees.

Good luck!

rrrbbbggguo
29 posts
msg #37747
Ignore rrrbbbggguo
8/31/2005 8:25:49 PM

trade_4_money:

Thank you so much for the instruction! Does the exam series hard to pass? and after passing the exams, is it hard to find a trader's position?

trade_4_money
6 posts
msg #37758
Ignore trade_4_money
9/1/2005 7:33:00 AM

These exams are not easy if you have no financial background. It was easy for me because I have a Ph.D. in Economics and Finance, I researched (DD) stocks for many years. Do a googling on these exams, you'll see what's in these exams.

You should trade on your own account first before attemping to find a trader job. First do paper trade, then open an online account, do some real trades.

This is a very stressful and demanding job, it is not easy. This is probable the only job you work hard for the whole day but you might lose a few thousand dollars.

Though I am daytrading for a living, it took many years of hard lessons and tough losses to make me where I am.

I'm not dicouraging you, but this could be the best job if you can make it, for me, this is the dream job.

shelupinin
120 posts
msg #37759
Ignore shelupinin
9/1/2005 9:15:51 AM

trade_4_money, you wrote that "You should trade on your own account first before attemping to find a trader job", but how to find such job? Ok, imagine that I have successful experience of trading for own money, but where to find such job? Do you know some online magazines which may post "job opportunities" in classified section? If I don't have economical education, but have IT education, is it a problem?
Alex

rrrbbbggguo
29 posts
msg #37770
Ignore rrrbbbggguo
9/1/2005 9:26:58 PM

trade-4-money:

It's nice to get more information from you, thanks! The first thing I will do is to see your gift-stock list.

Noahedwinbeach2
135 posts
msg #37855
Ignore Noahedwinbeach2
9/7/2005 11:31:39 PM

If you have a nice trading account of your own why work for someone else as a professional trader? What I would do instead is start a business managing other people's money. Show your track record as proof just like mutual funds do. Warren Buffet is a prime example of this. He start LLC with up to 100 people who put there money in. He managed there money and I believe took 25% of the profits.

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #37877
Ignore nikoschopen
9/8/2005 7:35:03 PM

I wonder why a "successful" trader would want to work for someone else and split the profit when they could just as well keep it all for oneself? Right, they're entrusted with a larger capital. But can you also be nimble & disciplined at the same time?

trade_4_money
6 posts
msg #37903
Ignore trade_4_money
9/9/2005 9:39:18 PM

If you want to learn more about trading as a career (or work for a trading firm), here has some info:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=7c621bb95568c07e08bbe85ad11734a9&forumid=24

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · How to find job as a professional trader?<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.