StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Best free chart program<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
stktrader
7 posts
msg #51259
Ignore stktrader
4/20/2007 11:10:30 PM

I have used tradestation for some time for free. I was a client for two months but due to the fact that I was not an active trader, Ameritrade made more sense because you can collect 4-5% interest on idle money. I still get tradestation and I have for about a year. It is kool that one can see many different time frame charts with a click of a button. Is there any software free that offers the same. I am new to stockfetcher. Does it have charts like this? Tradestation notified me that I would be cut off soon. I may have to reup with them since I have gotten used to this format, but I would also like to cut loose and stay with Ameritrade. stk

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #51260
Ignore nikoschopen
4/21/2007 12:00:49 AM

If you have over $2,000 in ure Ameritrade account, ure entitled to receive a free subscription to QuoteTracker, which offers diverse charts along with streaming Level 2 and Time & Sales. If you happen to be an Apex member, you also have access to real time news such as Dow Jones news wire and other goodies. Check it out for ureself.

http://www.quotetracker.com/screens.shtml

stktrader
7 posts
msg #51261
Ignore stktrader
4/21/2007 12:05:45 AM

I am an Apex client. Thanks for the QT info. I will chack it out. stk

Nitehowl
2 posts
msg #51267
Ignore Nitehowl
4/21/2007 12:27:09 PM

If you have over $2,000 in ure Ameritrade account, ure entitled to receive a free subscription to QuoteTracker, which offers diverse charts along with streaming Level 2 and Time & Sales. If you happen to be an Apex member, you also have access to real time news such as Dow Jones news wire and other goodies. Check it out for ureself.

http://www.quotetracker.com/screens.shtml

Hi Niko

Do you use QT and if you do, do you have any good daily and intra-day settings? I had some decent ones until computer crashed(of course I didn't write them down)
Thanks for your time
Ernest

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #51268
Ignore TheRumpledOne
4/21/2007 12:29:16 PM

If you want to make THOUSANDS or MILLIONS of dollars trading then GET THE BEST TOOLS YOU CAN!

When you trade, you trade against the biggest, best, richest, fastest, etc... traders in the world.

Don't be CHEAP when it comes to your trading tools and education!!

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #51272
Ignore nikoschopen
4/21/2007 2:45:39 PM

"Niko, do you use QT and if you do, do you have any good daily and intra-day settings? I had some decent ones until computer crashed(of course I didn't write them down). Thanks for your time "

The following indicators are strictly adhered to in my trading, regardless of what charting package I may use at the time. I apply the same parameters to all time-frames.

UPPER INDICATORS:
Bollinger bands(17,2)
Keltner channel(7)
DMA(28,-14)
SMA(50)

LOWER INDICATORS:
Slow stoch(39)
Slow stoch(7)

On a related note to what TRO has said above, I echo his sentiment in that if you really want to succeed in this game you first need to get rid of that "free is better" mentality. Be that as it may, over the years I have come to realize that the best traders are not necesarily the ones who utilize the fastest trading arsenal under their wings. Simply put, that alone will not guarantee your success. However, they have many years of experience under their belt. As a novice, what you could gain by using a free service will likely be very marginal in comparison to what you could potentially lose by using such crap.

stktrader
7 posts
msg #51274
Ignore stktrader
4/21/2007 6:16:47 PM

My main thing was this. Tradestation now has free platform service if you buy or sell or round turn 5000 shares a month. That is not a problem. I can do that even when my business is busy. But they do not have money market interest at prevailing rates on idle capital. They pay like under 2%. With my account at 90K/180K margined at Ameritrade, I can make 3K a year on idle money since I can park idle money in the Reserves Fund that pays up to 5%. I use the tradestation platform window to show charts of a company in several time frames. When you switch companies, all of the time frames switch as well. Very nice. You can see real time and historical with one click. I also use the rader screen window to track a number of stocks based on Bollinger (20,3.5). That deviation tends to get hit on the lower band on days when the MM run the stops. A great entry point. I thought that maybe there was software out there that would achieve the same results as tradestation without me having to switch brokers and not be under the gun to trade a given number of shares whether I like to or not. I am looking at QT as advised above to see if that will fit the bill. It looks daunting when one opens it up. Not real friendly looking like Tradestation or Stockfetcher.

maxreturn
745 posts
msg #51275
Ignore maxreturn
4/21/2007 6:42:44 PM

Niko, I'm disappointed. The infamous dma(28,-14)? LOL!

as214
184 posts
msg #51276
Ignore as214
4/21/2007 9:06:19 PM

Does quotetracker have the option to utilize DMA 28,-14? As an Ameritrade client I can download it for free but I couldnt see DMA on their list of technical indicators. Any feedback would be appreciated.. If they dont have it Ill keep using Prophet charts!

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #51277
Ignore nikoschopen
4/21/2007 10:14:36 PM

"...I couldnt see DMA on their list of technical indicators."

In order to create a DMA(28,-14), you merely need to "displace" the SMA(28) back by 14-periods. First, select SMA as your chosen indicator. Then press the EDIT button to bring up the parameter window and input the following values in the appropriate boxes: 28 for the "Period" and -14 for the "Shift". You'll also note that QuoteTracker allows you to draw the DMA based on open, high, low, and various pivot points.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Best free chart program<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.