StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · A little more about me ...<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84402
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/14/2009 2:12:18 PM

Thought it might be fun to start a thread where people actually get to learn more about each other here.

I'll start.

My name is Kevin McGrath. That's me above, at our 20th anniversary vow renewal in 2008. I'm 47 years old, and live in a suburb north of Atlanta, GA. My wife and I moved here 12 years ago, before we had our two daughters. I work for a large multinational corporation, originally hired in as a senior technical person in R&D. For the last few years, however, I've been doing deal negotiation for in-licensing of new technologies.

I was trained as a Chemical Engineer (Columbia, 1984) and got my Ph.D. in polymer materials science (UMASS, 1990). I am very analytical, and spent quite a bit of time reviewing complex data sets from experiments as part of my job. I never bothered to even look at stocks until about 18 months ago - they were (and still are) unruly beasts that do not follow predictions and past correlation very well.

But since I had a fair amount of money socked away in my 401k and could set up a self-directed brokerage account, I decided to jump into the market and see if I could swim.

I couldn't.

Worst possible time to start (August of 2008), no practical training or experience, and too much money to play with. Kind of like giving a kid a match and a can of gasoline. I worked my way through a lot of different systems, always looking for the one indicator that will always work - certainly sounds familiar to lots of people here I guess.

Anyway, by now I have learned a lot more about the kind of trader I am, what suits my personality, and what specific criteria I believe are usually indicators of a good entry or exit point on a trade. I owe a lot to others here for unknowingly guiding me through this process, and wish I had discovered SF a year sooner than I did.

Hopefully others will see this as a good way to get to know people here by more than their forum names.

Good trading,

Kevin

Radiomuse
288 posts
msg #84467
Ignore Radiomuse
12/15/2009 3:31:50 PM

Ok, since Kevin was so forthcoming I'll play too - but I'm not as good looking so not posting a pic.

I just turned 40 (I'm a man, I'm 40!!! - see if anyone gets the college f-ball reference :) and live in Chicago. I've been interested in the stock market pretty much ever since I got out of college. Almost my whole career has been in the investment industry - selling fundamental and quantitative data and equity research tools to professional money managers. More recently I got mixed up in a side venture with a friend trying to start up a restaurant/bar in another city - big mistake! That has consumed more than a year of my life, and I'm still in the process of putting in stop losses and moving on.

As far as my trading goes, although my background is in fund and quant analysis, in the last year I have become very interested in and have learned a lot about technical analysis. After reading John Murphy's "bible" I was hooked! There's also been a lot of great articles posted on the forums here, one in particular posted by TRO was called the 5 Steps to Becoming a Successful Trader. At this point I am firmly entrenched in Stage 2 - Conscious Incompetence. I'm bouncing around between different indicators, systems and trading styles. Fortunately most (but definitely not all) of my learning has been via paper trading, and I plan to continue this until I feel I'm able to consistently come out ahead.

I've decided that scalping and true day-trading aren't for me - so I'm focusing more on longer time frames and thinking about holding periods of days and weeks rather than minutes and hours. I like trying to identify and follow trends, picking entry points on pullbacks and bounces, rather than trying to catch reversals. I definitely believe an important key to success will be learning to minimize losses and let winners run. I'm attending a risk management seminar Schwab is putting on later this week and hoping to pick up some ideas about risk/reward considerations within trading systems.

I've been using SF for almost a year and have learned a lot here - you can find a lot of good info in the forums by searching a bit and going back in history. I've also become half-decent at writing filter code and feel that sf will be a critical piece of whatever my final "core" trading system looks like.

Good trading to all!

gmg733
788 posts
msg #84500
Ignore gmg733
12/16/2009 9:54:36 AM

I have to run, but I'll give the DL on me real quick. Network Engineer in St. Louis, MO. Lived in the area all my life. Married to a wonderful and supporting wife. 36 years of age. Two regrets in life, not learning golf sooner or picking up trading. Always had a nack for economics and finances. I just recently, like 4 months ago, joined SF and have been enlightened by some of the dialog here. I have thoughts in my head and I am now realizing the power of the SF. TRO has put into motion thoughts I have had in my head on stat analysis. I've been focused on options for obvious reasons.

With that being said, the market is rigged to a degree. Don't confuse yourself. Just get on the right side of the trade. That is the goal.

One question for Kevin, is the weighted Crock Pot Slow Cooker scan working for you? Are you using it?

My trading style is simple. I swing trade when I can and I am looking for methods that fit my lifestyle. This is why swing works for me. My goal is to recreate wealth so that when I am 45 I can retire early. I don't want to work all my life even though I am highly regarded in this area. I just don't want to do it. Life is just too short to work and working the political ladder is just too hard. Hence, I chose my own destiny when I read the book from Darvas. While I believe one makes things happen, I find nepotism and such hibit competency to a huge degree. So why not generate income without a boss, without overhead, without external forces... trading.

Happy Trading to all and if I can help out I will. I have made a lot of mistakes and hopefully I can help teach along the way as well as learn. I'm all about giving back to those will to work for it.

Thanks.

Greg

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84502
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
12/16/2009 10:49:32 AM

gmg733:

Crock pot strategy has traded about even over the last two months - as of 10/12 it was up 131.58%, and as of last Friday (12/11) it was at 131.67%. This assumes that you invested only in the top ranked stock from the scan the the open price on Monday. No slippage or commissions factored in.

gmg733
788 posts
msg #84511
Ignore gmg733
12/16/2009 2:51:44 PM

Grinding sideways...... :)

SFMc01
358 posts
msg #84560
Ignore SFMc01
12/17/2009 9:29:37 AM

Kevin: How do you trade the "Crock Pot" strategy?

Thanks,

Steve

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84570
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/17/2009 9:48:17 AM

Steve and gmg:

This is all laid out in the crock pot thread here:

http://forums.stockfetcher.com/sfforums/?q=view&fid=1002&tid=81139&qrid=

I was hoping that this thread would be used to introduce yourself in more detail to the SF community. Please feel free to do so, but if you want info on a specific trading strategy, just post on that thread. I'll answer.

Thanks.

Kevin

xxhds
5 posts
msg #84611
Ignore xxhds
12/18/2009 1:00:43 AM

Hey guys,

I joined sf a month or so ago. Currently a senior in college, 21 years old. Going to be graduating in the spring with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I live near Indianapolis, IN - looking for a job there in June if you know anyone ;). I just got started with the stock market this past summer. I have been reading some books and doing TONS of research online. So far I have been looking into different styles and trying out lots of trading platforms.

I really want to get into swing trading. I've tried some paper trades but always end up losing. I've been trying to buy potential reversals and they always end up continuing down, or reversing right after I sell them. Now I am trying to buy the trend, but this market has been crazy and seems unpredictable to me the last 2 months. If anyone wants to discuss strategies I'm always interested in talking to other traders. These forums are filled with tons of info and I look forward to reading them.

Quick question for Kevin, and anyone else. It sounded like your trading didn't start out so good. Have you been profitable recently?

GL in the markets everyone.
Ryan

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #84626
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/18/2009 10:23:55 AM

No one's trading starts out good - it's just a fact of life.

Paper trade first, for at least six months to get the hang of it. I use trademonster as a papertrading account (It's free, and they do not hassle you).

Ths will let you try out several types of investments (stocks, options forex) and not lose your hard capital when you fail.

porti
20 posts
msg #84672
Ignore porti
12/18/2009 7:39:12 PM

Hi All, though i am not a big contributor to any big threads here on sf, i am watching you guys like a hawk on a daily basis.
I am a foreigner from Switzerland (bloody cold over here right now), and i am 35 Years old. My trading expirience is just about a year back from now, and i did make the mistake of not papertrading! Do it people, thats the only advice i can give! Stockfetcher helped me alot to keep me out of trouble alot of times. So keep on posting and keep the good work up!
I am doing my best with my english, so forgive me when i dont spell corectly in my posts.

By the way, i like fishing.
Best Place to be is the Zambezi River in Africa. There you can catch some good Tiger Fish !
Look it up in google...and if you need a break from trading..... go fishing!

:-)

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · A little more about me ...<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.