StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Swing trades strongly trending stocks<< >>Post Follow-up
altaf
2 posts
msg #33434
Ignore altaf
9/29/2004 10:24:40 AM

1. Using this filter to determine LONG trades for swing trading and believe that with some decent money management, this can yield good results.

2. found sector desciption as a valuable column to pick stocks only in strong sectors.

3. can be very well tweaked for shorting stocks, although i have not tested that.

hoping to hear some feedback.

show stocks where day point range > ATR(10)
and close > 10
and close is near 40 day high
and ADX > 20
and average volume has been increasing over the past 3 days
and stock is optionable
and add column sector description

xplorer
257 posts
msg #33443
Ignore xplorer
9/29/2004 9:48:18 PM

Sweet ... I too enjoy the swing trades. Your addition of the sectors is awesome ... I threw in the sort of the sectors to help with the selection ...

Fetcher[show stocks where day point range > ATR(10)
and close > 10
and close is near 40 day high
and ADX > 20
and average volume has been increasing over the past 3 days
and stock is optionable
and add column sector description
and sort column 5 descending
]

siliconhippy
37 posts
msg #33444
Ignore siliconhippy
9/29/2004 10:03:27 PM

altaf,

Your filter looks very interesting...also I noticed that you used a Sector description.

Is it also possible in SF to do an Industry description, and then sort a set of stocks( all stocks, ETFs, ADRs etc.) according to %age gains by Industry over specified periods (last day, week, month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 yr etc.) ? I believe such a filter would be a powerful tool, since Industry advances are a big factor in stock gains.

Kindly look at the post reproduced below, from an earlier post under Comments/Requests.

siliconhippy.

------------------

The above I think is a very useful feature that makes me keep going to other sites (Prophet, Morningstar etc.), but which can tremendously help SF members.

The sector/industry list is already on the SF homepage. However to make this listing really useful, I propose the following:

1. SF come up with an ascending-descending table with headings: Sector, Industry, Current Value/price, AND Daily, 1 week, 1 mo, 3 month, YTD, 1 yr, (plus customized period) % gain/loss.

2. SF make the headings clickable so the user can click to get the listing one is looking for. E.g. I might want to check out the Top 10 industries that gained in the trailing 3 months, with their gains/losses also listed in other periods, on the same table. And then click on another heading (say, YTD) to get a descending order listing that way.

3. SF make the Sector/Industry references clickable, so the user can click to drill down. Eg, go from Top 10 Industries to their constituent tickers (and names) to check out their respective gains, with Avg Volume/other useful info also listed.

4. Next, the user should be able to click on any ticker to get to the charting part. And be able to check tickers to import into a given watchlist. Once in a watchlist, the user can apply his/her own filters and charts to analyze further.

5. Better yet, have the given set of ticker listing charted automatically following the list page(s), as a toggle option. Perhaps such charting can be customized.

It would be wonderful if a filter-writing genius like cegis or other wizards can give us a filter ! And by extension, write one for US indices and global ones (via ETFs like iShares, for example), maybe for ADRs too

You can find index symbols and tables on Stockcharts.com (under Free Charts)and also on Prophet.net under Analyze, Quotes, and ETF headings.

I believe that filtering via industry growth is a great way to find great stocks. And with ETFs and ADRs, you have the whole world markets at your disposal, remembering that some markets are always growing.

siliconhippy.

rrochon
117 posts
msg #33507
Ignore rrochon
10/5/2004 7:49:49 PM

Thise filters did not backtest very well.

Dick

defghca
150 posts
msg #33514
Ignore defghca
10/6/2004 8:27:40 AM

rrochon
how do you backtest? "date offset is?

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Swing trades strongly trending stocks<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.