StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · MACD Fast Line 52 Week Low<< >>Post Follow-up
snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #142522
Ignore snappyfrog
3/1/2018 9:13:12 AM

Any thoughts, additions or comments welcome.

Trying to eliminate head fakes after the MACD Fast Line has hit a 52 week low.

Fetcher[
market is not OTCBB
market is not ETF

and draw EMA(50)
and draw EMA(200)
and draw EMA(13)
and draw EMA(30)
and draw COG(5)

and Average Volume(30) > 100000
and price is above 1
and MACD Fast Line(12,26,9) reached a new 52 week low within the last 2 weeks
and MACD Fast Line(12,26,9) crossed above MACD Slow Line(12,26,9) within the last 3 days
/*and MACD Fast Line(12,26,9) > MACD Fast Line(12,26,9) 1 day ago*/
and RSI(14) < 50
and close > close 1 day ago
and close 1 day ago > close 2 days ago
]

jimvin
170 posts
msg #142693
Ignore jimvin
3/9/2018 10:27:03 PM

Since "thoughts" were called for (a neutral evaluation requiring neither common sense nor deep intelligence) I'll toss mine in as a kick=start to the conversation.

Of the overlays/indicators I prefer here's the score:

Sharpe Ratio: Catastrophic failure on all but one pick in the roster for Monday
Force Index (FI2): High passing grade on many (both numbers and charts)
Wkprofitpcnt: Mixed; majority low but some high points to consider
drsi4/drsi9: All winners
dma_x_1over8: Very low score on all

Much of the value of the above (if any) will depend on how the individual user prefers to weigh the overlay/indicators...or simply the empirical results of applying them to the script and tracking the outcome for a few weeks.

Additionally, I would add the old Darvas' criteria of a 30-day average of 300,000 and a minimum 30-day closing average of 3, making the stock easier to unload when so desired.

,,,but what the heck do I know? Simply a reply to some requested "thoughts."

jm.v.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #142700
Ignore nibor100
3/10/2018 2:03:10 PM

@jimvin,

I've read 3 of Nicolas Darvas' books and I'm not familiar with him ever stating anything about having a

" Darvas' criteria of a 30-day average of 300,000 and a minimum 30-day closing average of 3,"

Could you provide a source or reference for that info you cited?
Or perhaps it is a different Darvas?

Thanks,
Ed S.

jimvin
170 posts
msg #142701
Ignore jimvin
3/10/2018 2:48:51 PM

I've been through his formal "rules" and those don't appear in his listings as as hard and fast in his texts (How I made $2,000,000, You Can Still Make It, etc.) ; they were extrapolated by a third-party examining his trading patterns. Sorry, but unfortunately, it was years ago that I ran across them and I don't recall the source of the analysis. I can,however, note that they're worked very well in my trading. If I can find the source somewhere iny files I'll post it - .

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #142746
Ignore nibor100
3/13/2018 2:07:24 PM

@jimvin,

From his first book, indications were for most of the stocks that made up his run to $2M, Darvas actually was buying stocks with very low average Weekly volumes whose volume then had a large increase simultaneous with the stock moving to new all time highs.

Three examples from his book:

Lorillard
first week of Oct moved from 17, to narrow box 24/27 its volume for the week of 126,700 vs usual 10,000 shares

Diners club
weekly volume swelled to unusuallly high 23,400 shares which I considered unusually high for this stock

E.L.BRUCE
weekly volume climbed to 19,500 from usual 5,000, then 41,500, 54,200, 76,500 with price jumping 5 to 8 points weekly

I believe Darvas used weekly volumes because on his dance tours he only got Barron's once a week to do his stock research.

At the end of that first Darvas book there are weekly price and volume charts for all of his big successful stock buys; and in 2 of the latest editions of "How to Make Money in Stocks" by William J. O'neil, there are weekly charts of many of those same stocks.

Ed S.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · MACD Fast Line 52 Week Low<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.