StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Adding Market Temp to Filters<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
marine2
963 posts
msg #33680
Ignore marine2
10/25/2004 11:11:36 PM

As we know our filters (less sell filters) always work much better when our markets are moving upward. Can someone from our forum write a formula incorporting the market (Dow Jones Industrial, and / or Nasdaq) into each of our filters showing that particular market ready to bounce back up or is going up presently ? If we could have that market positive temperature reading in our filters this would again help assure us that this particular filter would have a great chance of moving upward.
I know we have some brilliant minds in our forum here and I am putting out a challenge here to see if anyone here can write something to meet this criteria.

Thanks,
Marine2

yepher
359 posts
msg #33685
Ignore yepher
10/26/2004 12:05:09 PM

marine2,

You might try adding this to your global chart settings:

draw ind(^IXIC, MACD Fast Line(12,26)) and draw ind(^IXIC, MACD Slow Line(12,26))

Example of the output

Fetcher[
close above the upper bollinger(20)
AND day point range > 1.0
AND price between 1 and 10
AND volume above 5000
AND draw ind(^IXIC, MACD Fast Line(12,26)) and draw ind(^IXIC, MACD Slow Line(12,26))
]

You could do the same with the other markets. This way you have at a glace the "market strength" while you are looking at your results. Of course MACD may not be the best indicator to use. You can use which ever indicator you have the most confidence in.

If you want to suppress the results when the market is down then you could add this

"ind(^IXIC, MACD Fast Line(12,26)) above ind(^IXIC, MACD Slow Line(12,26))"

to be first in the chain so reduce all results.

You could also one of these to help determine broad market strength.
- advance decline ratio
- Arms Index

marine2
963 posts
msg #33697
Ignore marine2
10/27/2004 12:21:03 AM

Thanks so much Yepher for producing something I can test out. I appreciate and applaud your fine efforts in helping me find a nice tool to use. I hope down the filter creating road I too can help perhaps yourself or someone else like you have done for me. I will keep you posted on how this new program works for me.

Marine2

marine2
963 posts
msg #33698
Ignore marine2
10/27/2004 1:18:46 AM

Yepher, I added more to what you had. I revised one of yours to read finding stocks crossing above the lower bollinger band. What I added got rid of much of the hits that showed bad results. With what I have presented only shows hot hits that have went up or recent ones that show great promise in going upward. See what you think. Also, fill me in on what market indicator you used in your filter you gave to me, was it the nasdaq or was it the djia ? If it was the nasdaq then what indicator would i use for the dow jones industrial average (djia)?
Here is my revised filter:
>>>> Market Temp added <<<<
close crossing above the lower bollinger(20)
AND price between 3 and 100
AND volume above 5000
AND draw ind(^IXIC, MACD Fast Line(12,26)) and draw ind(^IXIC, MACD Slow Line(12,26))
and cci(12) is below -100
and -di(12) decreasing previous 1 day
and +di(12) increasing previous 1 day
and adx(12) is above +di(12)
and date offset is 30

Thanks!
Marine2

yepher
359 posts
msg #33702
Ignore yepher
10/27/2004 11:01:11 AM

marine2,

Looks like you are making good progress.

If you want to use DOW instead of NASDAQ your filter should look like this:

Fetcher[
AND volume above 5000

AND draw ind(^DJI, MACD Fast Line(12,26)) and draw ind(^DJI, MACD Slow Line(12,26))

]

With the "ind()" syntax you are not restricted to indicies. You can use any common symbol.

If you think Yahoo is a good market indicator you could do this:

Fetcher[
AND volume above 5000

AND draw ind(YHOO, MACD Fast Line(12,26)) and draw ind(YHOO, MACD Slow
Line(12,26))

]

marine2
963 posts
msg #33720
Ignore marine2
10/28/2004 4:37:32 PM

Yepher and anyone else willing to invent. Now that we have come this far with this Market temp insertion into our filtering process. Let's take this a step further and add sector codes into our filtering. Example, what would Oil Futures code be, Gas Futures, etc.

If we knew that Oil Futures were going up we would then trap stocks that benefited from that fact. Doing this with other sectors we could harness particular sectors temperature rating using a filter and being able to catch companies that would respond positively because of this hot sector rating. Sounds like a program situation involving "If this sector xxxx is ^ then show stocks in that sector" then of course you would have to put in our usual filtering tools to filter those stocks down into ones that would show as ready to break out or ones that would continue to go upwards.

If you knew what symbol or codes to use for the various sectors, that would provide us a narrower look at hot sectors. Send me back what you know and how to write a filter covering this subject, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marine2

yepher
359 posts
msg #33735
Ignore yepher
10/28/2004 10:51:16 PM

If you want to filter for a particular sector see this document under the section "sector is"

http://yepher.com/~yepher/stockfetcher/command.html

marine2
963 posts
msg #33736
Ignore marine2
10/28/2004 11:18:23 PM

Yepher, thanks for the fast reply, and yes I will go there.

Marine2

yepher
359 posts
msg #33738
Ignore yepher
10/28/2004 11:32:20 PM

Here is another way to judge market temp:

Fetcher[
advance decline ratio crossed above cema(advance decline ratio, 10)
AND draw advance decline ratio
]

This will only return symbols when the market starts a recovery phase.

jclaffee
81 posts
msg #33739
Ignore jclaffee
10/29/2004 12:34:01 AM

Yepher, the advance/decline ratio you refer to is of the NYSE Composite? NASDAQ Composite? Wilshire 5000? Other?

Thanks!

Jim

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Adding Market Temp to Filters<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.