StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · A filter for stocks with a high probabilty of making a large move<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
cjx3000
2 posts
msg #31626
Ignore cjx3000
4/4/2004 5:02:42 PM

Hi folks, I am a new member, I am looking for a filter that will show the stocks with a high probability of making a large range move next day (regardless of direction).

I would appreciate any help. TIA

cjx3000
2 posts
msg #31660
Ignore cjx3000
4/8/2004 8:34:14 PM

cegis?!... Anyone?!

yepher
359 posts
msg #31693
Ignore yepher
4/12/2004 3:39:56 PM

What kind of day range do you want to hold the stock?

cegis
235 posts
msg #31715
Ignore cegis
4/13/2004 8:07:16 PM

cjx3000,

If I could answer that, I wouldn't be spending my time in these forums! <G> (I'm too new to TA... Writing a filter based on someone else's idea is a TOTALLY different exercise!)

BUT, if you come across something, PLEASE POST IT, so we can all go to the bank daily!!! <VBG>

C

yepher
359 posts
msg #31727
Ignore yepher
4/13/2004 11:44:49 PM

Here is a filter that I tend to see a big price movement the next day or so from. I have had a lot of success with these filter helping me to pick my next days watch list.

Fetcher[
open below the median bollinger(20)
AND close above the upper bollinger(20)
AND day point range is above 2.00
AND price between 1
AND 10 AND volume above 91000
]

This is a pretty tight filter and has only given 36 or so trades over the past 2 year. One more as of today (04/13/04) COHT. Statistically there is a very good indication that if you buy the result on market close and hold over night on average you will get a return of ~7% if you sell immediatly on open. Once it got ~115%. (I am going from memory on these numbers so the maybe off a little) Of course if you can figure out which direction the market will go the next day and immediatly go Long or Short that number increase to 50-100+%. The problem is you have no protection with stop losses so you can get hurt real bad by trying this so I am NOT suggesting you try it.

Here is a relaxed version of the filter above. I have not analyzed this over time to understand what it's characteristics is but should provide some fairly large movemets the next day.

Fetcher[
close above the upper bollinger(20)
AND day point range > 1.0
AND price between 1 and 10
AND volume above 5000
]

-- Yepher

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #31731
Ignore txtrapper
4/14/2004 9:42:08 AM

yepher;

Your filter results for today...COHT

COHT....down $0.61 cents at the open.

TxTrapper

yepher
359 posts
msg #31743
Ignore yepher
4/14/2004 6:09:42 PM

txtrapper,

I kinda thought it might do that. If you notice the past three have done really bad. I am not sure what the cause of this is the further you go back the better the results seem to be.

Any idea what might cause this effect?

-- Yepher

cegis
235 posts
msg #31746
Ignore cegis
4/14/2004 8:20:24 PM

yepher,

Might it be the trend of the general market???

Just a thought...

C

txtrapper
548 posts
msg #31748
Ignore txtrapper
4/14/2004 9:01:46 PM

yepher;

That could be the ticket, do a backtest 3, 5, and 7 days and print and watch them stocks tomorrow. Thanks

TxTrapper

cegis
235 posts
msg #31749
Ignore cegis
4/14/2004 9:08:35 PM

yepher,

Just took a look at the results from the (clickable) filter above. Is there any way to find these matches the day BEFORE they would match this filter??!! (I'm being sarcastic, unless you really CAN figure that out!)

BTW, the
Fetcher[ ]

directive for some reason does not produce a link in the posted message if there is a '>' in the filter (maybe '<' too). You need to spell out "greater than"... Also, if you use "preview message" it will show an active link for
Fetcher[ ]

directives if will end up as one in the final post. (If it doesn't show as an active link, you can go back and try to figure out why...)

HTH,

C

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · A filter for stocks with a high probabilty of making a large move<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.