StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Village Elder Short -Sell Filter discussions<< 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up
KSK8
561 posts
msg #150424
Ignore KSK8
modified
1/20/2020 11:17:52 PM

Dtatu,

This type of trading does not yield an inverse reciprocal, sadly.

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #150426
Ignore Cheese
1/20/2020 11:49:20 PM

KSK8 and Village Elder,

Please consider including a RISK WARNING when you post your trades (even simulated or paper trades)
e.g. Trading involves risks, including risks of bankrupcy and unlimited losses. All trades and results posted are hypothetical.

Risk warnings may be good for you and for your readers

Village Elder
231 posts
msg #150428
Ignore Village Elder
1/21/2020 7:33:09 AM

Glad that this system is generating discussion, but I think that if you have concerns about shorting stocks as a trading strategy, then don't consider this system for trading. And if I recall correctly, those XIV trades were long XIV, not short, and the Vix went haywire but only up 100% or so which caused the ETN to dissolve. The next day it collapsed back down but the structural damage to the ETN was done and could not be reversed.
Really not a good analogy, but I understand your point about caution.

Has anyone traded this with real funds? If so how have you done so far? That is what I would be interested in hearing about.

chi-town
44 posts
msg #150429
Ignore chi-town
1/21/2020 8:28:19 AM

Just paper so far.
Did notice a big draw down on 1/2/2020 inpx short at 7.20 closed at 14.82 ..that would be a $10,576.00 draw down. If you held next day the high was $29.35..a $30,605.00 draw down in equity. The stock closed at 20.25. Next day it crashed, closed at 9.00. I'm not sure anyone could watch that kind of movement against them. Maybe a 5% stop on all trades would work?
Thanks

Village Elder
231 posts
msg #150430
Ignore Village Elder
1/21/2020 9:17:18 AM

INPX is eliminated from the initial filter based on the addition of the market cap criterion (as suggested by KSK8), so while I see your point I am not wholly convinced that it is a fatal flaw in the system. You will have losing trades, but it is usually more than made up for by the winners. Given that these stocks have already made large moves up (>50% in the last 5 days) the likelihood of another sudden and much larger move is very remote.

As I said previously, if you are not comfortable shorting stocks, and the risk of a large move up which can happen to any system, then do not trade this approach.

chi-town
44 posts
msg #150433
Ignore chi-town
1/21/2020 9:48:09 AM

Got it.
Thanks

KSK8
561 posts
msg #150434
Ignore KSK8
1/21/2020 10:15:06 AM

Village Elder,

Substitute that market cap parameter with shares outstanding. If you look back at the historical candidates, having that criteria implemented would have dodged a ton of huge short squeezes.

I must say though, this does look like a nifty system, I'm looking forward to seeing your success with it!

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #150439
Ignore mahkoh
1/21/2020 2:46:30 PM

One thing I always incorporate in filters like these is:

"add column high 200 week high"

If this column shows a price in the thousands you're dealing with a compulsive reverse splitter. You can be much more confident that it will work out well.

shillllihs
5,974 posts
msg #150440
Ignore shillllihs
1/21/2020 2:54:24 PM

I think the discussion should be how would you set it up to not lose all your stuff when it spikes 400%
Can this be set up in a child's account or some broke persons account that you can trust, or maybe those trading this are mere renters with nothing to lose, these are the best candidates. I don't know anything about this can you file bk or do they garnish wages. I don't recommend trading this way unless it's for peanuts like 1-2% of your portfolio which in essence makes the system obsolete unless of course you have nothing to lose.
This game only works for insiders who can get off the hook.

dtatu
143 posts
msg #150445
Ignore dtatu
modified
1/22/2020 7:33:04 AM

Maybe a Safer Bet( decreasing risk of a severe loss) is:
1. wait for the 1 st reversal day after a New high?( sell on the close a Close lower than the Open)
2. sell on a trade above a previous significant weekly High?( I noticed that some of them take out a significant high before collapsing)

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Village Elder Short -Sell Filter discussions<< 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.