StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Performance Testing and Dates: Limitations of Stockfetcher<< >>Post Follow-up
jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #26768
Ignore jim_c_hill
6/7/2003 11:54:32 AM

Hi
I am new to stockfetcher but have been a long time user of metastock software for system development. It is very important to have a good history of data to test systems over a variety of stock market behaviors: Up, down, steeply up, steeply down, flat, etc. One can develop a system that gives great results in a strong upmove such as recently but fails in all other environments. For example, I use May 3, 2002 to Sept. 18, 2002 to test long(buy) systems in a very difficult bear market. Very few long systems do well in that environment. You may choose to still use the system but at least you know what problems you may encounter.
Stockfetcher has a one year database[based on what I have read and tested before coming a member] which means only a limited history can be tested. In the next few months the period I referenced above will disappear as part of the database. Soon the database available for testing performance will be less robust. Performance testing may lead to systems that are not as robust as one might think.
I plan to use stockfetcher, for the moment, for testing some general ideas, but for robust performance testing and more complicated analysis I will have to use metastock.
Jim

tomb
267 posts
msg #26770
Ignore tomb
6/7/2003 12:19:10 PM

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the post. First, StockFetcher currently has a 5+ year database of stock values. It is true that some measures and features can not utilize the entire period of time (due to performance considerations.) But, when performing back-tests (i.e. the 'date offset' command) you can retrieve more than 1 year of history.

For example:

Fetcher[show stocks where close is below lower bollinger band
and date offset is 5/1/2000
]

Again, not all features will take advantage of this data and currently charts are limited to the last 1 to 1.5 years of data. As an aside are looking to enhance the functionality of the backtesting, both the "Historical" feature and the "date-offset".

Thank you again, and please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Tom
StockFetcher.com Support

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #26772
Ignore jim_c_hill
6/7/2003 12:25:40 PM

Tom
Thanks for your reply. Since not all features can access the five year database, is it possible for stockfetcher to provide a list of those features/indicators that can or can not access the full database? This would be helpful to users when developing ideas.
thanks
Jim

tomb
267 posts
msg #26774
Ignore tomb
6/7/2003 12:32:52 PM

Hi Jim,

Certainly. Right now, I can tell you that the "historical" link next to filter results is limited to a six month period ending with the most recent date. We are looking to make that a variable six-month period. As far as the 'date-offset' feature, if you specify a specific date, that can retrieve results from as early as 1996 (US Markets only.)

As far as the period-length of indicators and measures. For the most part these are limited to 200 trading days. Some (I'll have to get the exact list) may have slightly longer or shorter period limits. Again, these limitations would be a result of performance considerations.

Hopefully the above helped. Thank you again for the feedback.

Tom
StockFetcher.com Support

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #26775
Ignore jim_c_hill
6/7/2003 1:00:25 PM

Tom
Thanks, the information helps clarify the limitations.
Jim

Koronbock
201 posts
msg #26787
Ignore Koronbock
6/8/2003 2:54:17 PM

Jim,
I just saw your post about testing various filters in different market environments. I could not agree more. It is dangerous to rely on a filter which is “working now” and draw long term conclusions. This filter might stop working tomorrow.
As for METASTOCK: Can you tell me if MS can do the kind of testing that Stock Fetcher can? Specifically: Testing a portfolio of stocks (depending on various technical indicators) over a chosen timeframe? Thanks.
Werner

wozwon
2 posts
msg #26788
Ignore wozwon
6/8/2003 4:33:46 PM

Jim: You are blessed to be able to use Metastock Scans successfully for your stock analysis. Several years ago I had Trade Station to use for one month. The volumns were very ponderous and frankly I didn't have the time to spend, but mostly it was too complex for me. I'm thankful to use Stock Fetcher for it requires none of the above, and allows me to participate in Scanning even if only on an elementary scale. Withe out it I would not be scanning now. I will enjoy your comments as you look it over, even if for a short period. Thanks, Vince

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #26789
Ignore jim_c_hill
6/8/2003 5:13:06 PM

Hi Werner
Metastock has a language that enables one to write more complicated ideas than stockfetcher, but it is not as simple as stockfetcher in terms of language. Its system tester can be tested over specified date, although its system tester is not as good as Trade Station. I like to use its explorer function which enables me to specify a condition and then run that function over a portfolio of stocks to see which ones at the end of the day show the condition of the function desired. You can write fairly sophisticated explorer functions and also chain them as in stockfetcher. You can also do explorations monthly, weekly and daily. You can also specify dates to run exploration if you want to check a back date.
I have used metastock for many years and I continue to use it. There are some others out there that have more functions or features, but they generally are more complicated.
Jim

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Performance Testing and Dates: Limitations of Stockfetcher<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.