StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bollinger bands<< 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 >>Post Follow-up
rtucker
318 posts
msg #36002
Ignore rtucker
5/14/2005 3:26:55 AM

Thanks for the click Rumpled One.

Did some backtesting with Muddy method and found that in this weak market for the last 4+ months an 8% stop wold trigger 21% of the time. I'm sure its higher when my dollar's right there. If I change to 5 to 10 dollar stocks an 8% stop triggers 15% of the time. Not for this reason alone, my gut( and this thread) suggests to spend some time with thicker, > 5 dollar stocks, and learn to use the lower bb and rsi(2)< 1 method. Aside from money management issues with lower priced stocks, the main issue I struggle with, is the trade off between buy stop a green open, or, wait for a small green day. Oh well, thanks for the great thread. You too Rumpled One.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #36005
Ignore TheRumpledOne
5/14/2005 3:29:53 PM

See if this works a little better for you:

Fetcher[
/* tail is 2% below close(reversal) , buystop is 2% above close(green) , sell stop is 2% below low(failure) */

set {x,low * .01}
set{y, close * .02}
set{ sellstop, low -x}
set{ buystop, close +y}
set{diff,buystop-sellstop}
set{rawloss, diff/buystop}
set{loss%, rawloss*100}
add column buystop
add column sellstop
add column loss%

set{chbd3, count( CLOSE HAS BEEN DECREASING OVER THE LAST 3 DAYS , 5)}

set{ptlbb, count( PRICE TOUCHED LOWER BOLLINGER BAND(20), 5)}

add column chbd3
add column ptlbb

and chbd3 above 0
and ptlbb above 0
and close above ema(5)
and close above open

AVERAGE VOLUME(90)IS ABOVE 300,000 AND CLOSE PRICE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 10
]

This filter selects former "MUDDIES" that have crossed above the EMA(5).

MAY ALL YOUR FILLS BE COMPLETE.

rtucker
318 posts
msg #36008
Ignore rtucker
5/15/2005 9:15:14 PM

Thanks RumpledOne for the visual indicators of Muddy's lower bb method. I included "closes below lower bb" and summed the three of them. "sum" behaves like rsi(2) < 1 when its value is set high. "but of course it does" , you might say. Redundant indicator? Maybe. Anyway, thanks for the entry suggestion. It may indeed suit me better. The entry below only waits for one day where close > open.

ps. If I could learn 1 thing tonight it would be "clickable" filters.

set{chbd3,count(CLOSE HAS BEEN DECREASING OVER THE LAST 3 DAYS , 5)}
set{cblbb,count(PRICE < LOWER BOLLINGER BAND(20), 5)}
set{ptlbb,count(PRICE TOUCHED LOWER BOLLINGER BAND(20), 5)}
set{psum,ptlbb + chbd3}
set{sum, psum + cblbb}

add column chbd3
add column ptlbb
add column cblbb
add column sum

AVERAGE VOLUME(90)IS ABOVE 300,000
AND CLOSE PRICE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 10

draw rsi(2)

sum > 5 and close > open and offset is 10

corsino
259 posts
msg #36009
Ignore corsino
5/15/2005 10:29:16 PM

rtucker
I don't know if I understand you right, but to make a filter clickable, all you have to do is type: Fetcher, followed by the filter enclosed in brackets.

Fetcher[......]

rtucker
318 posts
msg #36010
Ignore rtucker
5/16/2005 1:51:43 AM

corsino,

That is what I needed, thank you.

rtucker
318 posts
msg #36011
Ignore rtucker
5/16/2005 1:57:45 AM

Fetcher[set{chbd3,count(CLOSE HAS BEEN DECREASING OVER THE LAST 3 DAYS , 5)}
set{cblbb,count(PRICE < LOWER BOLLINGER BAND(20), 5)}
set{ptlbb,count(PRICE TOUCHED LOWER BOLLINGER BAND(20), 5)}
set{psum,ptlbb + chbd3}
set{sum, psum + cblbb}

add column chbd3
add column ptlbb
add column cblbb
add column sum

AVERAGE VOLUME(90)IS ABOVE 300,000
AND CLOSE PRICE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 10

draw rsi(2)

sum > 5 and close > open and offset is 10
]

rtucker
318 posts
msg #36018
Ignore rtucker
5/16/2005 9:31:40 PM

I did not realize that the filter I previously posted takes away the essence of the original MUDDY method. It does not show 1st touches of lower bb, only extreme penetration of lower bb. Not my intent to mess with a filter used by maybe thousands, though, I would like to have a filter that captures first touches and failures rather than use days offset or watchlist.

glm47
51 posts
msg #42355
Ignore glm47
3/23/2006 1:31:55 AM

I have to say that this thread is the most informative thread I have yet to uncover as I read through the archives. I would go so far as to say it is required reading for all of us SF newbs...

How many of you still trade using this method today and does it work as well as it ever did?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #42388
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
3/23/2006 4:06:20 PM

Yes, it still works.

It has worked for years.

But what's funny is, Muddy became an RSI(2) convert. He loved RSI(2) < 1 on his Muddy Stocks.

Last time I heard from Muddy, he was trading stocks where RSI(2) > 99 on breakouts.

glm47
51 posts
msg #42394
Ignore glm47
3/23/2006 5:54:30 PM

So Muddy went from Longing to Shorting!

I must say I have been duly impressed by the RSI2<1 too. Its amazing how accurate it signals imminent reversal. I add the RSI2<1 to every chart I look at these days.

Glad to hear the swing trading method is still viable though. It gives hope to those of us new to trading that need to build our trading accounts over the $25K mark so we can scalp and get out of losing positions fast.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bollinger bands<< 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.