StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DEADLY COMBO<< 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up
cunparis
71 posts
msg #64811
Ignore cunparis
7/9/2008 12:14:28 PM

I've been practicing the combo scan & wait for green on the simulator. One thing I've noticed is several big movers have gapped up/down and never looked back. Others have gapped up/down, filled the gap, and then returned in the original direction.

it's clear to me that waiting for green means waiting for a stock to go red 1-2% and then green, and we try to capture the ADR (minus the 1 or 2%). But what about gappers? I've seen them with 15-20% moves and it'd be nice to catch them.

Is a gap up going green? There is the risk of a gap fill so I'm really not sure how people trade these. OR do you just let them go?

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #64818
Ignore 13th_floor
7/9/2008 6:50:54 PM

Is a gap up going green?

Of course it is,any price higher than yesterdays close is GREEN!

rlac
7 posts
msg #64819
Ignore rlac
7/9/2008 7:19:01 PM

How can I change this to delete the low vol stocks? I like to keep them above 400,000. Thanks

cunparis
71 posts
msg #64828
Ignore cunparis
7/10/2008 1:58:08 AM

"Is a gap up going green?

Of course it is,any price higher than yesterdays close is GREEN!"

Thanks for the confirmation 13th. In that case, what do you use as a stop? Would you let the gap fill and set the stop under the previous close?

Same question goes for when a stock goes green very quickly and is up 3% before one can enter. I've been skipping those thinking they're too far extended.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #64830
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/10/2008 2:20:55 AM

"Same question goes for when a stock goes green very quickly and is up 3% before one can enter. I've been skipping those thinking they're too far extended. "

That's where STATISTICS come into play.

cunparis
71 posts
msg #64849
Ignore cunparis
7/10/2008 12:19:49 PM

TRO, can you explain what you mean by using statistics?

An example is GETG. It gapped up and never looked back.

I'd love to go long on this, since it opened green, but it seems 1/2 the time stocks fill the gap.

chetron
2,817 posts
msg #64861
Ignore chetron
7/10/2008 6:12:00 PM

just a thought...

normally, this filter shows you the good gap filler, but as you can see, it can be used to find the bad ones. i put in the good ones so you can compare the data.

to use in the future, just replace the ticker names in the parathesis' and gooooooooooooo.

p.s. i know i am no TRO. lol.

Fetcher[

/* gap fill statistics */

set{Xgapped, open - close 1 day ago}
set{Xgapup, count(Xgapped > 0, 1)}
set{Xgapdn, count(Xgapped < 0, 1)}

set{absgap, abs(Xgapped)}

set{gappedup100, count(Xgapup > 0, 100)}
set{gappeddn100, count(Xgapdn > 0, 100)}

set{cl1lo, close 1 day ago - low}
set{hicl1, high - close 1 day ago }

set{fillup, count(cl1lo > 0, 1)}
set{filldn, count(hicl1 > 0, 1)}

set{gapupfilled, Xgapup * fillup }
set{gapdnfilled, Xgapdn * filldn }

set{gapup100f, count(gapupfilled > 0, 100)}
set{gapdn100f, count(gapdnfilled > 0, 100)}

set{gapfilled, gapup100f + gapdn100f}

/* DRAW PLOTS */

DRAW XGAPPED ON PLOT XGAPPED

/* DISPLAY COLUMNS */

and add column gappedup100
and add column gappeddn100
and add column gapfilled
and add column gapup100f
and add column gapdn100f

and add column cma(absgap, 100)
and add column absgap 100 day high
and add column absgap 100 day low

/* SELECTION CRITERIA */

symlist(getg,sial,erts,biib)

/* SORT CRITERIA */

SORT COLUMN 7 DESCENDING

]

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #64880
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/11/2008 8:51:15 AM

cunparis
- Ignore cunparis 7/10/2008 12:19:49 PM

TRO, can you explain what you mean by using statistics?

An example is GETG. It gapped up and never looked back.

I'd love to go long on this, since it opened green, but it seems 1/2 the time stocks fill the gap.

=======================================================

Some people trade using fundamentals.

Others use techinical indicators.

I use STATISTICS.

I look at the statistical price performance of a stock.

AAPL usually fills the gap and if AAPL moves $.10 in either direction of the open price, it usually moves at least $.50 in that same direction.

To trade AAPL, I look to see which way AAPL gapped and look to fade the gap( gap up look to short, gap down look to buy). I ONLY enter trades at OPEN +/- .10. Usually, get 2 or more trades a day. That's all that is needed.

Don't need to trade any other stock using this method. AAPL gives plenty of "juice".

AntonellaB
3 posts
msg #64910
Ignore AntonellaB
7/12/2008 1:46:12 PM

Johnnyvento, Lizzy and 13th, I been reading your post from page 1 on. I am 1 day newbie. Your filters that you are using, are for differnet filter/setups, low float, HOD, etc... Is there 1, I can start out with, basic one and then jump into the other ones you posted? Also say if i use a basic chart, and 11,000 or so symbols come back when I fetch, where do i go from there? Thats the 1st stock and trade it? This is where I am getting lost. I fully understand the filter setup that you are gearing out, but one thing that gets me is after I hit fetch, what do i do when i see all those stcoks.
Thanks AntonellaB

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #64932
Ignore 13th_floor
7/12/2008 10:17:29 PM

Well yeah,it's SCAN not a filter,sure it's going to show a ton of stocks,everyone is this universe:

close is between 1 and 15
average volume(90) above 50000
average volume(10) above 250000

It was explained how to use it right in the first post:

"These stocks are at least 8% ADR(30) AND have run at least 10 times in the last 100 days over 10% in a day."

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DEADLY COMBO<< 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.