StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Bullish stocks ready to move higher<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #28317
Ignore EWZuber
9/4/2003 2:56:06 PM

Playing with SF this morning and came up with this killer filter. It looks for stocks that have been rising longer term and have just had a bullish stochastic crossover on daily charts. Back testing has been impressive. Further refinements can be made but the returns don't seem to be high enough to warrant it.
SHOW STOCKS WHERE SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K CROSSED ABOVE SLOW STOCHASTIC(5,3) SLOW %D WITHIN THE PAST 1 DAYS AND WEEKLY SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)%K IS INCREASING AND AVERAGE VOLUME(90) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND CLOSE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15.

deprez
60 posts
msg #28322
Ignore deprez
9/4/2003 5:11:12 PM

Fetcher[
SHOW STOCKS WHERE SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K CROSSED ABOVE SLOW STOCHASTIC(5,3) SLOW %D WITHIN THE PAST 1 DAYS AND WEEKLY SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)%K IS INCREASING AND AVERAGE VOLUME(90) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND CLOSE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15
]

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #28325
Ignore jim_c_hill
9/4/2003 8:47:58 PM

Several months ago I published the following filter which is somewhat in the same mode:

stock
Fetcher[Show stocks where weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D within the last 1 day and Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 40 and rsi(14) is above 50 and 3 day slope of the close is above 0 ]

Compare the two and what do you think?
JH

xplorer
257 posts
msg #28326
Ignore xplorer
9/4/2003 9:48:34 PM

This filter is awesome ! ... and great Great backtesting too !

I added a little tweek ... putting stochastics below 50.
It may be a "different strokes for different folks" ... but...
I believe that the BIG upward movemnets seem to always
start when stochastics is below 50 ... and it also helps to
not show those that are already in the "overbought" area (above 80).
Let me know what you think !
(and as I usually do , I added the "and
offset 0 days" for back testing)

Fetcher[
SHOW STOCKS WHERE
SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K CROSSED ABOVE SLOW STOCHASTIC(5,3) SLOW %D WITHIN THE PAST 1 DAYS AND
WEEKLY SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3) %K IS INCREASING AND
slow stochastics(5,3) fast %K is below 50 and
AVERAGE VOLUME(90) IS ABOVE 100,000 AND
CLOSE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15 and
offset 0 days
]

Fare Well !

xplorer
257 posts
msg #28327
Ignore xplorer
9/4/2003 10:19:55 PM

I should of looked closer ...as Jim_C_Hill also lowered the trigger point of stochastics (below 40) very similar style...but as usual I tweeked it for my style of trading. I moved the RSI trigger to be below 20 (oversold) and ready to move upward.

Fetcher[
Show stocks where
weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K crossed above weekly Fast Stochastic(5,3) Slow %D within the last 1 day and
Fast Stochastic(5,3) Fast %K is below 40 and rsi(5) is below 20
and 3 day slope of the close is above 0 and
offset 0 days
]

Fare Well !!

JoeGrossinger
165 posts
msg #28330
Ignore JoeGrossinger
9/4/2003 10:44:47 PM

Interesting filter. I changed it a bit and will start using this as a separate trading system where one buys 5 stocks, sells those that fall below a certain point and replaces it. Like the one featured at:

http://www.koliga.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=e6a12f7390bfd4399c1b41bbe510f8fb

This looks to outperform my system, so I will run them separately and folks can see which would work for them.
Mine has gained over 24% in almost 3 weeks with a minimum of fuss and muss.

stock
Fetcher[SHOW STOCKS WHERE SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)FAST %K CROSSED ABOVE SLOW STOCHASTIC(5,3) SLOW %D WITHIN THE PAST 1 DAYS AND WEEKLY SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)%K IS INCREASING AND AVERAGE VOLUME(90) IS ABOVE 600000 AND CLOSE IS BETWEEN .4 AND 4]

I'm trying to concentrate on easy-to-use, simple-to-follow trading systems anyone including those with day jobs can use.
This filter looks like it will suit that purpose very well.
I will provide a link to this thread so folks can see the original filter and any changes that may have been posted, as well as the discussions.

EWZuber
1,373 posts
msg #28336
Ignore EWZuber
9/5/2003 1:15:27 AM

xplorer
I have been using a similar screen but it's designed more for finding stocks that have been through a typical distribution phase and is just beginning a new accumulation phase below a stochastic value of 25.

SHOW STOCKS WHERE WEEKLY SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)%K LESS THAN 25 AND CLOSE IS ABOVE MA(200) AND SLOW STOCHASTICS(5,3)%K LESS THAN 25 AND PRICE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 15 AND VOLUME(90) IS GREATER THAN 100,000

Problem is that right now everything that is worth a darn is very overbought on daily charts, so I thought that maybe a stochastic crossover is really what is needed as it indicates a renewing of the accumulation phase and is a very bullish indication when it occurs above 50. It indicates the stock does not want to go into distribution even when overbought. People want the shares no matter what. I figure thats about what is needed now.
The thing I can see that might be a problem is when the market starts to decline, the filter will pick up some falling stochastics cycles that havn't had a fast line cross below the slow line yet. It will be interesting to see how this impacts results.
I tried to put in a stipulation that 'fast %K is increasing' just to test it but for some reason that command won't work in this filter.

defghca
150 posts
msg #28339
Ignore defghca
9/5/2003 8:05:45 AM

jim_c_hill
have you had much success with your filter over the last months??

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #28348
Ignore jim_c_hill
9/5/2003 4:32:43 PM

Joe
I looked at your revised filter you were going to use on your website. I suggest you use either the one I suggested or the original one in this thread. The reason for this recommendation is that yours seems to do worse on negative market or slightly positive market days. Take a look at June 10, 2003 for comparative purposes.

I do follow your work on the web site and you demonstrate the key importance of money management. I think you can take a bad system and actually make money with the right money management principles.
Jim

jim_c_hill
61 posts
msg #28358
Ignore jim_c_hill
9/5/2003 7:14:57 PM

Joe
Also, I have observed that a stop of 3% might work better than 4% but I am looking at stop close only information. Also, if the stock does not move much for three days I tend to consider selling it.
Jim

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Bullish stocks ready to move higher<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.