StockFetcher Forums · View by Author: (48 messages)  [ Display By: Date / Subject ]<< 1 2 3 4 5 >> 
General Discussion · Weekly SF knowledge Quiz and/or Weekly Tip
Lapre506
msg #140851
1/11/2018 5:58:45 PM

Quiz #2
Question #2
"2. T or F. StockFetcher is incapable of showing a stock's historical chart from any time period older than 3 years prior to the current day's date"

I believe is False. It's my understanding Stockfetcher is actually incapable of showing any time period older then "2 years" prior to the current date.

Filter Exchange · Simple Bullish Swing Trade Momentum Filters
Lapre506
msg #140626
1/3/2018 2:24:41 PM

So I have a few nice easy simple swing trade filters to share with the other newbies on here. Nothing complicated at all. I'm sure the seasoned members here could do it way better I sure welcome any and all input to try and improve the results so please feel free.
Also I am in no way claiming to be a competent trader. I'm just a newbie who put a ton of time into learning different strategies, paper trading, trial and error, and have had my share of losses. I'm not playing with a ton of capital so I'm bound by the PDT rules and forced to swing trade. I only started getting profitable a few months ago, and my total capital is only up 8% from where I started at this point.

I dabbled with RSI2 and Connors RSI, pullbacks to EMA(20), "traders zone" and the like. I bought all of Connors ebooks and crushed a ton of other swing trading ebooks on Amazon Kindle. And for the most part RSI2 < 2 is a solid safe trading strategy. Problem is sometimes you're stuck waiting days on end for them to bounce back and be profitable. And this didn't fit my impatient trading style. I like to buy, hold overnight and immediately see profit the next day or at most within 3 days. I'm happy with 1-3% gains on a position and I don't expect much more then that on such short holds. So I've toiled over and over and tweaked and tweaked filters til I found a few strategies that fit my trading style. So if you're like me bullheaded, impatient, and looking to get instant returns take a good look at these.
Now for the stategy which is simple...
So with RSI2 < 2 you buy stocks that are severely oversold and you sit on them and wait til they finally come back to life and they usually do. What I tried to accomplish is eliminating the wait so all these filters are setup to look for the same thing... stocks that had a nasty sell off but have started making a nice comeback. And when something hits it's usually just about to pop. I tried to accomplish this in numerous different ways while keeping risk and drawdown to a minimum.
Now a bit about my backtesting. I backtest manually.. in an excel spreadsheet. It's crude but I haven't figured out a better way. So for now this is what I do. My filters are designed to give very few plays to cut down on the data entry.. and I've tried to widdle them so the ones they give are almost.. "almost" guaranteed to be in profit within 3 days. I also tried to reduce drawdown as much possible because mentally I do not handle being down in a position very well.

- The backtest criteria-
- Two highest profit positions were deleted to help temper the results
- Backtest was performed from 3 days ago back too at least 11/1/17
- Buy was made at the close price the night the stock showed up on the filter
- Drawdown was based on the 3 day low after the night it hit the filter
- P/L is based on the highest close price in a 3 day timeframe (not exclusively the third day)
- Backtest was done with a 10% stop loss

Filters are posted in the order of best drawdown/profit ratio:

RSI2/Qstick
Fetcher[market is not otcbb
close is above 1

Average Volume(30)> 100000
RSI(2) was below 3 within the last 4 days
Qstick(5) > Qstick(5) 1 day ago
shares outstanding > 50
Add column rsi(2)
add column market cap
add column shares outstanding
add column sector
and add column dividend yield
add column dividend
add column since dividend {Last Ex-Div}
add column sector

DRAW FIBONACCI UP(65)
DRAW FIBONACCI DOWN(65)
]

Backtest Results:
Average Prof: 2.38%
Avg Drawdown: 1.60%
Plays since 11/1: 90
Plays ending in loss: 10

RSI(14)
Fetcher[market is not otcbb
market is not etf
close above 1
close is above ma(200)
Average Volume(30) > 250000
close was at a 10 day low within the last 4 days
RSI(14) crossed above 30 today
volume > volume 1 day ago
add column rsi(14)
add column market cap

add column dividend

DRAW FIBONACCI UP(65)
DRAW FIBONACCI DOWN(65)
]

Backtest Results:
Average Prof: 1.95%
Avg Drawdown: 1.30%
Plays since 11/1: 57
Plays ending in loss: 8

Qstick(5)
Fetcher[Market is not otcbb
Market is not etf
show stocks where the 20 day slope of the QStick(5) is above 0
close is above 1
close is above MA(200)
close was at a 10 day low within the last 4 days
RSI(2) crossed above 70 today
RSI(2) is below 80
OBV(20) crossed above Average OBV(20)
day change is below 5
add column RSI(2)
add column market cap
sort column 5 ascending
add column sector
add column market cap
add column dividend

DRAW FIBONACCI UP(65)
DRAW FIBONACCI DOWN(65)
]

Backtest Results:
Average Prof: 1.85%
Avg Drawdown: 1.56%
Plays since 11/1: 77
Plays ending in loss: 13

Momentum(50)
Fetcher[Market is not otcbb
Market is not etf
show stocks where momentum(50) crossed above 0 today
close is above 1
volume 10% > Average Volume(30)
close was at a 10 day low within the last 10 days
RSI(2) below 70
day change above 0
day change is below 5
shares outstanding above 50
add column RSI(2)
add column RSI(14)
add column market cap
ADD COLUMN SHARES OUTSTANDING
sort column 5 ascending
add column sector
add column market cap
add column dividend
DRAW FIBONACCI UP(65)
DRAW FIBONACCI DOWN(65)
]

Backtest Results:
Average Prof: 1.67%
Avg Drawdown: 1.42%
Plays since 11/1: 73
Plays ending in loss: 15

General Discussion · Weekly SF knowledge Quiz and/or Weekly Tip
Lapre506
msg #140622
1/3/2018 11:36:55 AM

Awesome thread idea. As to the quiz.. I do not know the answer. But I did notice SF does not support VWAP which is disheartening. I saw TRO tried to create it back in 2003. Luckily I can get it on my other trading platform. So any chance VWAP is the answer and I just haven't figured it out yet?

General Discussion · Probably a dumb question
Lapre506
msg #140583
1/2/2018 8:40:25 AM

HI Ed,

You hit the nail on the head. Basically what I am doing is trying to dial my filters in to the point where they give only a few plays per day but the plays they do give are almost...almost guaranteed winners. Then once I do that I manually backtest them. This involves me loading all the plays into a spreadsheet manually, and manually checking the draw down and high close over the next 3 days after it hits the filter. This gives me an idea of the percentages I can expect to have to hold through (draw down) and profit I should hold out for. It's tedious and time consuming but I need to see how the filter reacted to atleast the past earnings season. So having a mass CSV with all the hits over the past few months all together would save me alot of manual input into excel. But you brought up some good ideas for me to try. Thanks again for the replies!

General Discussion · SOME ONE IS LEAVING - ME OR SHILLLIHS
Lapre506
msg #140581
1/2/2018 8:33:51 AM

Oh man this is rough. KIG and SHILLLIHS are two of the best on here. I used both your filters and have stolen alot of coding from both of you guys. Can't bear to lose either one of you. Can't we all just agree to get along for the prosperity of the masses here on SF.

Lapre506
msg #140518
12/31/2017 1:57:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. But that's not really what I am trying to accomplish. Basically I wanted to know if there was a way to download a CSV of the hits over the past 1-2 months of a filter so I could import it into a spreadsheet with 1 CSV file. Currently when you you click download CSV you only get the entries for that one day in a file. I wanted the past 2 months consolidated into one file so when I go to backtest my filter in a spreadsheet I'd already have all the entries.

But doesn't look like there is a way. So back to manually entering all the data :(

Lapre506
msg #140507
12/30/2017 7:15:34 PM

Four.. kinda related. Is there a way to get a CSV of say the past month of hits on a filter all in one file so I can import them into a spreadsheet? Basically I manually backtest my filters entry by entry day by day. The CSV is great for one days worth of data but is there a trick to get a mass period of time together in one CSV?

General Discussion · My Filters not working correctly
Lapre506
msg #140506
12/30/2017 7:10:20 PM

Got an email today. They fixed it. Probably just a bug on my end. They even were able to restore all the filters I lost. I'm back to being a happy camper.

Lapre506
msg #140475
12/29/2017 10:22:47 AM

Yea I still have this issue. On multiple devices and browsers. If I click organize and try and move a filter up or down it seriously deletes the filters I am trying to hope over.

So my advice to you guys if you haven't done so.. back up all the coding for your fav filters in a word doc incase this bug happens to you.

I emailed SF team and haven't heard back about it.

Lapre506
msg #140200
12/18/2017 4:59:41 PM

Well I'm complaining... need to know whats on my filters!!!!

StockFetcher Forums ·  · << 1 2 3 4 5 >>

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2018 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.